• Multi-Level Cars—Delivery/Status

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sixty-six

being that its 7200, I guess its safe to assume this isnt a cab car

by transit383

If it is 7200, then would it be safe to assume that this is also a restroom equipped trailer (following suit with NJT's other x200 cars)?

by Silverliner II

I'd say so.

Cab cars are to be in the 70xx-series; trailers in the 75xx/76xx-series, and restroom trailers in the 72xx-series

by gravelyfan

transit383 wrote:If it is 7200, then would it be safe to assume that this is also a restroom equipped trailer (following suit with NJT's other x200 cars)?
Yes, there is a restroom on this car.

by duey

This from NJT's website:
NEWARK, NJ – NJ TRANSIT will unveil the first of 231 new multi-level rail cars Wednesday at an event at Newark Penn Station. The cars will eventually provide capacity relief on NJ TRANSIT’s busiest rail lines, while providing an unprecedented level of comfort for customers.

WHO: New Jersey Transportation Commissioner Jack Lettiere, Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia, NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George D. Warrington, Members of the NJ TRANSIT Customer Design Team

WHAT: First multi-level rail car unveiling

WHEN: Wednesday, September 14 at 2 p.m.

WHERE: Newark Penn Station, Track A

Copyright 2004 NJ TRANSIT, All Rights Reserved, See important legal disclaimer

by njtmnrrbuff

I wish that I could come but I will be in class that day. I look forward to standing trackside watching those cars move.

by Irish Chieftain

Oh well...

Any way to create a 14 foot 9 inch tall version of the EMU below? That would almost be the best of both worlds for NJT...

by arrow

Too bad it's during the day. Maybe it will be there when I get to Newark Penn after work (5PM). Anyone know for sure?

by alewifebp

Too bad it was announced today, and it happens THIS Wednesday. I probably would have been able to make it, but this is just too short notice.

An MU bilevel would be nice, but given NJT's seemingly anti-MU stance, little hope, even if one were available.

by Mark Schweber

duey wrote:This from NJT's website:
NEWARK, NJ – NJ TRANSIT will unveil the first of 231 new multi-level rail cars Wednesday at an event at Newark Penn Station. The cars will eventually provide capacity relief on NJ TRANSIT’s busiest rail lines, while providing an unprecedented level of comfort for customers.

WHO: New Jersey Transportation Commissioner Jack Lettiere, Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia, NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George D. Warrington, Members of the NJ TRANSIT Customer Design Team

WHAT: First multi-level rail car unveiling

WHEN: Wednesday, September 14 at 2 p.m.

WHERE: Newark Penn Station, Track A

Copyright 2004 NJ TRANSIT, All Rights Reserved, See important legal disclaimer
Will the public be allowed to tour the inside of the car?

by DutchRailnut

Its listed as a Media event, so don't bet on getting near or in car if your just Joe Q Public.

by ryanov

arrow wrote:Too bad it's during the day. Maybe it will be there when I get to Newark Penn after work (5PM). Anyone know for sure?
I would doubt it. I was annoyed that it was during the day, but think about it. 5:00p is rush hour -- do you expect that there will be free tracks?

Bob, get some pics. ;)

by arrow

DutchRailnut wrote:Its listed as a Media event, so don't bet on getting near or in car if your just Joe Q Public.
Their intial announcement on the website said that the car would be unveiled to the public. Wouldn't that mean that everyone would be allowed inside?

by pgengler

arrow wrote:Their intial announcement on the website said that the car would be unveiled to the public. Wouldn't that mean that everyone would be allowed inside?
I think they just mean getting out on display to people other than employees; showing it to the media would qualify as a "public unveiling" (to me, at least).

by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:Its listed as a Media event, so don't bet on getting near or in car if your just Joe Q Public.
If the public were to be barred, wouldn't they have it at a non-publicly accessible area, such as at a maintenance facility? Based upon the fact that it was announced on the main page of njtransit.com, I think the public will be allowed to participate. That is my opinion.