• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Boomer508

I took the physical ability test last week but they told me that they didn't get the approval for the medical exams yet. I asked if they were putting a class in but nobody seemed to know.
  by DutchRailnut

Next Assistent conductors test is August 27 all candidates have already been notified.
  by east84th

Boomer508
I think the delay on the medical is because it is good for only 30 days, and there is no class set yet. When it is within the 30 days you should get called. When did you originaly take the test and when did you interview?
  by Steamboat Willie

Rumor going around now is late '09 and beginning of '10. And the amount of people they want to hire is impressive. One class is almost done with promotion with nobody else in class. Once the season is over with the Yankees it will be a clearer picture. Right now it's too tight with having to cover jobs.
  by NYCrails

I have a question about Metro North's interview process. This morning I missed my call on my cell phone to set up an time for a interview for this Mon..When I received the message and gave them a call an hour later they told me the interview session is filled and I would have to be rescheduled maybe in two weeks. I want to know is what is the chance that they will call me back.
The position is Inventory Control Clerk..
Any information will be greatly appreciated this situation kind of ruined my weekend.
If anybody has any extra info on the position as well more then I what I have on paper will help as well.
Thanks...
  by matawanaberdeen

Boy you miss one call and it sounds like you got screwed? I'm answering my phone every time it rings on the first ring! JC
  by truck6018

NYCrails wrote:I have a question about Metro North's interview process. This morning I missed my call on my cell phone to set up an time for a interview for this Mon..When I received the message and gave them a call an hour later they told me the interview session is filled and I would have to be rescheduled maybe in two weeks. I want to know is what is the chance that they will call me back.
Any information will be greatly appreciated this situation kind of ruined my weekend.
If anybody has any extra info on the position as well more then I what I have on paper will help as well.
Thanks...
I would call back in a week and see if they have any additional info for an interview session. Don't speak with the interns, ask to speak with your recruiter. The best advise I have is to keep up on it almost to the point that they'll know it's you when the phone ring. This will show your ambition on wanting the job. The fact that you were called for an interview is very positive. Most that get called for interviews for this position are basically sho-in unless you completely blow the interview by acting like a complete moron.

I just got an email saying I passed the hiring tests for Customer Service Rep and I'll be called for an interview. Funny thing is, I'm already on the job and all I have to do is bid into the position, regardless......

The Inventory Control Clerk position is not difficult. You would in the storeroom (or distribution center) and fill requests on materials the mechanics need. You'll need some computer literacy as everything is computerized. Should you get hired you'll be trained on everything you need to know. The one warning I have is you will not likely have a steady shift with the same hours every day. Most of the vacancies in this position are relief jobs meaning you may work Saturday and Sunday form 7am to 3pm. Then Mon, Tues and Wed from 3pm to 11pm. I believe most of the jobs are in Croton Harmon. Possibly one or two in Stamford.

Don't let any of this discourage you, once you get through 90 days you can bid something bigger and better. The union you'll be in oversees ticket agents, customer service reps, inventory clerks, custodians plus numerous other jobs. Even if you don't like the inventory job after the 90 days you can move around.

Good luck!
  by NYCrails

truck6018 wrote:
NYCrails wrote:I have a question about Metro North's interview process. This morning I missed my call on my cell phone to set up an time for a interview for this Mon..When I received the message and gave them a call an hour later they told me the interview session is filled and I would have to be rescheduled maybe in two weeks. I want to know is what is the chance that they will call me back.
Thanks...
I would call back in a week and see if they have any additional info for an interview session. Don't speak with the interns, ask to speak with your recruiter. The best advise I have is to keep up on it almost to the point that they'll know it's you when the phone ring. This will show your ambition on wanting the job. The fact that you were called for an interview is very positive. Most that get called for interviews for this position are basically sho-in unless you completely blow the interview by acting like a complete moron.

I just got an email saying I passed the hiring tests for Customer Service Rep and I'll be called for an interview. Funny thing is, I'm already on the job and all I have to do is bid into the position, regardless......

The Inventory Control Clerk position is not difficult. You would in the storeroom (or distribution center) and fill requests on materials the mechanics need. You'll need some computer literacy as everything is computerized. Should you get hired you'll be trained on everything you need to know. The one warning I have is you will not likely have a steady shift with the same hours every day. Most of the vacancies in this position are relief jobs meaning you may work Saturday and Sunday form 7am to 3pm. Then Mon, Tues and Wed from 3pm to 11pm. I believe most of the jobs are in Croton Harmon. Possibly one or two in Stamford.

Don't let any of this discourage you, once you get through 90 days you can bid something bigger and better. The union you'll be in oversees ticket agents, customer service reps, inventory clerks, custodians plus numerous other jobs. Even if you don't like the inventory job after the 90 days you can move around.

Good luck!
Thanks Truck ..
The funny thing is I was expecting an email to let me know my status since that was the way they were communicating with me. Out of nowhere comes a call .I hope I didn't miss out on a job because of a miss call.
  by truck6018

NYCrails wrote: Thanks Truck ..
The funny thing is I was expecting an email to let me know my status since that was the way they were communicating with me. Out of nowhere comes a call .I hope I didn't miss out on a job because of a miss call.
When I was notified for an interview it was via email with the date and available time slots. I didn't start getting phone calls until I was notified of passing the interview and PAT. Then I got a phone call for a medical exam and for a start date. Each recruiter does things a little different. If your recruiter is who I think it is (DC?) she's only been there about six months.

Once again good luck, if you have any additional questions feel free to PM me.
  by NYCrails

truck6018 wrote:
NYCrails wrote: Thanks Truck ..
When I was notified for an interview it was via email with the date and available time slots. I didn't start getting phone calls until I was notified of passing the interview and PAT. Then I got a phone call for a medical exam and for a start date. Each recruiter does things a little different. If your recruiter is who I think it is (DC?) she's only been there about six months.

Once again good luck, if you have any additional questions feel free to PM me.
Good guess ..
Thanks again.
  by RearOfSignal

DC has been there for at least 3 years, thats the one recruited me.
  by HalMallon

In August 2008, I applied for the AC position at MNCR.

In October 2008, I attended the information and testing session at NWP.

In December 2008, I interviewed for the AC position at 347; I was later not offered the position.

Based on responses to my previous posts, it is my understanding that I may still be considered a viable candidate for the AC position.

I applied again for the AC position, as it was recently posted on the MNCR website; I was not contacted for the upcoming session scheduled for August 27.

Is the score for the test I took in October 2008 still considered "good", meaning, that I may still be contacted in the future for my recent application?

If so, would contacting HR at this point be advisable for an update on my AC application?

(As an aside, I've applied for other MNCR positions over the last 2 years. The AC position is the only one HR has ever contacted me about...)
  by truck6018

RearOfSignal wrote:DC has been there for at least 3 years, thats the one recruited me.
Ok, I stand corrected. That's what I get for listening to people that don't know what they're talking about.
  by NYCrails

Just an update , they have call me back to reschedule and my interview is this Fri...
Thanks Truck for your help... :-D
  by matawanaberdeen

Excellent news I'm glad you didn't get screwed because you missed one phone call. I forger are you interviewing for Assistant Conductor or managerial job? JC