• MTA Considering Reserved Seating (COVID)

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

https://wcbs880.radio.com/articles/mta- ... d-pandemic

Wow. Now this would be interesting.
NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – The MTA could implement a number of measures, including reserved seats, as it returns to full service amid ongoing fears about the coronavirus, Chairman Pat Foye said this week.

Foye told the Wall Street Journal’s The Journal podcast that reserved seats and staggered hours are among the measures being considered by the MTA.

Foye said there’s a chance riders may have to reserve seats on trains or buses, at least temporarily, to help control crowding.

“I think agencies around the world have done things like metering,” Foye said on the podcast. “I think there ought to be consideration of reserving a space at least for some period of time on a subway or bus, using for instance the technology that we are all familiar with that TicketMaster uses.”
  by GirlOnTheTrain

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I can guarantee you it will NOT work at New York City Transit. What is to stop someone who didn't make a reservation from just hopping the turnstile or running through the gate when someone opens it? What bus driver is going to get the snot beaten out of them for refusing someone boarding? This is why people walk on the bus and don't even make an attempt to PRETEND to dip a card in the farebox - bus drivers don't want to be assaulted.

I could see it sort of working on MNRR and LIRR but even still, there's too many loopholes.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

Commuter rail side it could work, but there are still too many loopholes.

This was literally Pat Foye saying: "We are considering all options" and some reporter said "even reserved seating" and the clickbaity media glommed onto it and started touting it as gospel.