• MR getting rid of free show listings?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Listings on the Internet cant replace the printed word in the magazine. I will not be checking MR's web site for events listings, that's just not part of my routine. I look at the printed calendars in RMC and MR, and so do thousands of others... maybe MR will see the error of their ways?

by Otto Vondrak

Well I bought the June issue of MR today just to see if it really happened... this month, Dick Christianson's editorial was full of apologies and with his hat in his hand took time to explain all the changes coming down the pike. First of all, they are CONVINCED that people have no need for the printed listings in the magazine and will go to their web site for events. That's a bad marketing philosophy. Any time you make your reader more dependent on your web site, you take value away from the printed matter. The magazines I work for, we use our web site as an enhancement- a place to find additional information, additional photos we didnt have room for in the magazine, etc. We don't set up our articles so that you have to go to the web site to get the whole story- that's just a bad move, and if people wanted to be surfing the 'net all night, then why would they pick up your magazine in the first place?

-otto-

by Roger Hensley

Otto Vondrak wrote:We don't set up our articles so that you have to go to the web site to get the whole story- that's just a bad move, and if people wanted to be surfing the 'net all night, then why would they pick up your magazine in the first place?
Amen!

by sjl

Roger and Otto, you've summed it up perfectly. I buy train magazines and books to enjoy from the comfort of my easy chair or porch swing, not to then have to 'follow-up' something on the web.

I will be writing to MR to convey these sentiments (politely, of course), and hope that everyone else will do the same.

Ron

by Sir Ray

Otto Vondrak wrote:We don't set up our articles so that you have to go to the web site to get the whole story- that's just a bad move, and if people wanted to be surfing the 'net all night, then why would they pick up your magazine in the first place?
I have noticed a trend in MR (and probably lots of other magazines too, but sticking with the topic) over the past few years that in a number of articles they do encourage you to go to their site for additional material, which can range from simply additional info and pictures, up to rather important material which should have found it's way into the article in the first place.
Since I frequent the MR forums also (and am closing in on my third star - whoo-hoo!), it's not that much of a problem for me, but for others... well, I don't think this is a good long term move on MR's part.

by Otto Vondrak

I didn't even consider this until a friend of mine suggested it... as MR begins to migrate more and more of its content to its web site, how long until Kalmbach starts charging you an admission to access their content?

I think Kalmbach is trying to do too much too quickly and in the wrong direction. They spent all this money investing in their web site, hiring an on-line editor, adding content, starting forums, etc., and they are looking for a return on that investment. Banner ads won't do it alone.

-otto-

by NellsChoo

I also read this, and thought it was stupid. When I want to quickly check when a show is, I don't feel like sitting down, logging on, finding a link, searching for something that is or isn't there. I want to grab the magazine, flip to the page, and that's about it.

They say they will use those pages for something else. Ads, most likely... But those show pages always had ads also, so will they be loosing or gaining ad space? Why didn't they ask READERS what they thought? Also, there are probably some people who do not have computers who don't appreciate this change. They will turn to other publications to get show info...

As far as putting content on their site, they DO charge for it. All those how-to articles on there, you have to PAY for them. No way... They get money from subscriptions, from advertising, from special issues, etc. If they have to many good ideas for modelers, put them in the magazine!

This is, of course, just an opinion.

JD

by Otto Vondrak

Dick Christianson said in his editorial that "anyone can go to the library and log into a public computer... even our corner gas station has an Internet cafe!" Again, you just de-valued your print edition because you just told your reader to abandon the magazine and go to the Internet to get content. And I bet no one will want to haul themselves to the library (or GAS STATION?) every time they want to look something up... they'll just buy another magazine that has the content they are looking for.

Then there was the final dig: "If your club or organization wants to plug an event in the magazine, consider a display or classified ad."

-otto-

by NellsChoo

Display ad ($$)... classified ad ($$)... were the old show listings free? If not, I bet the fee wasn't as high as the above two alternatives. And yes, getting in your car, driving to the library, finding a computer not already in use, and then learning HOW to use it if you never have before... geesh...

by snowplough

Note that paying for an ad, even a good-sized ad, is not nearly as likely to get your show noticed as a small snippet in a regular column. I know that I go (er, "went") to the show listings in every new issue, but I seldom perused the entire magazine for every ad.

"Stupid" is indeed the word for it.

It's clear that MR has gone completely over to the dark side. Where's Jedi Linn Westcott when we need him?

snowplough

by NellsChoo

I wonder if that nice, plump dealer directory section will get cut next...

by Otto Vondrak

The show listings were indeed free. The dealer listings might be paid classified ads. You're right though, I rarely look at the display ads for show information. The regular column was well-read and provided good exposure for regional events, and was a good way to see what other events were happening nearby and on the same date.

MR already is trying to encourage people to download and buy certain articles from their "Information Station" on the web. I wonder how many people are doing that?

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

No mentions in the RPO this month. Anyone visit the Trains/MR forums regularly? Any mention of this issue there? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

-otto-

by Roger Hensley

Otto Vondrak wrote:No mentions in the RPO this month. Anyone visit the Trains/MR forums regularly? Any mention of this issue there? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?
-otto-
There was a mention in a couple of topics, but they died pretty quickly. The idea I got out of the discussions was that most folks didn't like it but it was ok in the long run as MR knows what they are doing and they're probably right and if you don't like it, so what.

Oh, well. I've gotten too old for this stuff...

by usa4624

The listings are now gone from the pages of MR. There are a few good editorials in the August edition, and MR's response at the end.

Andy Sperandeo's response: "Other readers have voiced similar concerns [Letters objecting to the removal], and we thank all those who did for sharing them. However, the changes Dick described were made so we could use the space for other editorial content. Our concern was and is “how we can maintain or increase MR’s value to its readers.”

Maybe MR should listen to its readers rather then feeding them rhetoric. If they were to listen to us, they might know how to "increase MR's value to its readers." :wink: