• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by thebigham

^Thanks, Scot.
  by ANDY117

2 are up behind the houses on Whitney Ave. I'll head out tomorrow and see what I can see.
  by ANDY117

As of Thursday night all 3 GP20s are together behind Weitsman's. They've been drained, and everything surplus or reusable has been removed. Get your photos while you can because they aren't going to be around much longer.
  by traingeek8223

Reported to me today that GP40 3042, SD40 3020 and F45 3636 have been moved to the Water St. siding in Utica for scrapping.
  by thebigham

^Sh*t!
  by Steve F45

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  by airman00

If I've done my math correctly, that leaves the Suzy-Q with only 18 "home team" yellow jacket units, and only 12 that are currently in service and operational. Take out the one remaining GP40 (3040?) that's in "captive" service up north and that leaves only 11 units to travel across the system. Pretty soon at this rate it'll be only the sd60's left.
  by scottychaos

traingeek8223 wrote:Reported to me today that GP40 3042, SD40 3020 and F45 3636 have been moved to the Water St. siding in Utica for scrapping.
There are also recent stories from Montana that Susquehanna's other F45 is also in the scrap line out there! :(

Scot
  by traingeek8223

Checked on the three locos in Utica yesterday. No evidence of scrapping yet. The SD and F are heavily stripped of parts, but then again they were before they were moved. The 3636 is middle of the line making clean roster shots difficult.
  by scottychaos

I stopped by Binghamton on May 25, 2014 to check things out..my report:

All three SD70M's, 4050,4052, 4054.
SD40T-2 3010 (called a SD40-2 by NYSW)
and SD45 3618, Five units total, were all together in the dead line on the East side of town.

Telephoto shot of 3010 and 3618, I couldn't get good shots of them because they were blocked by a string of cars.
I went into the auto dealership and peeked between the cars to get the number for 3618.

Checked out the Susquehanna engine terminal.
SD40 3022 and SD60 3804 were there, and appear active.

Not NYSW, but photo-worthy all the same! :)

And visible behind the NS Research train was NYSW SD60 3808, alongside the D&H freight house, with hood doors open,
appears to be temporarily OOS, hopefully just something minor:

While I was in town, a northbound Susquehanna train came through! :)
I drove up to the North side of Binghamton to catch them as they left town, headed north to Syracuse:

I had never seen any of the SD60's in person until this day..and then I saw 5 out of 6! :)
all of them except 3802.

I then drove all around, up and down the edges of NYSW Binghamton trackage and yards, as best as I could from public roads,
but saw no sign of any of the three GP20's.

Scot
  by charlie6017

Nice photos Scot!!! :wink:
  by TSTOM

Indeed, great job Scot and thanks for the update !

What's the deal with the SD70's....OOS or stored serviceable ?
  by scottychaos

TSTOM wrote:Indeed, great job Scot and thanks for the update !

What's the deal with the SD70's....OOS or stored serviceable ?
Thanks!
I believe the SD70's are "stored serviceable"..after being leased out for many years, they returned to Binghamton under their own
power in 2010..In March of 2011 all three were reported operating with NYSW, then in June of 2011 all three were OOS and stored in
Binghamton, where they remain to today. I haven't heard that anything is seriously wrong with them, they are perhaps a bit worn out though,
after 16 years of continuous service, which isnt too long really for a modern locomotive, but still..
they are perhaps less economical to operate than other locomotives, and NYSW has the SD60's now, which have been recently rebuilt..
I dont know if anyone (outside of NYSW) knows what the plans for the SD70's are..
Scot