• Modelling the 1948 20th Century Limited

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by hkc123

Hello,

I am trying to detail the Walthers 20th Century Limited trains as a gift for my boyfriend. I have installed almost all of the hand grabs but I am having an issue with the flat wire stirup steps. Anyone have any idea how to properly install them?

I am also interested in changing the 20th century limited grate on the end of the observation car so that it lights up like I believe it originally did. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I am trying to make them look as life like as possible, so if anyone knows any specifics that should be changed or improved on the models I would greatly appreciate it. I plan to eventually do some interior painting and would love to put in window curtains.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
  by Dieter

You are a wonderfully thoughtful lady to get your boyfriend such a gift. You are the only other woman I know aside from my wife who would do such a thing!

Personally, if in your position, I would STOP what you are doing and let him do the rest of that kind of detailing work. He might do it differently, or perhaps not at all for some reason. I also recommend that you comp the set with a few matching New York Central sleepers from RAPIDO Trains;

http://www.rapidotrains.com/schemes_ho/nyc1.html

If you haven't seen their cars, you will fall in love with the lighting and interiors.

Somebody has window blind decals, curtains are easy enough -- you need to find seated figures with their legs cut off at the knees (OUCH!) that will fit in the seats.

I hope your boyfriend appreciates you, I hope you will always share you hobby with him and develop your own passion for it. It sounds like you're already on the way to that!

D/
  by Otto Vondrak

Dieter wrote:I also recommend that you comp the set with a few matching New York Central sleepers from RAPIDO Trains;

http://www.rapidotrains.com/schemes_ho/nyc1.html
The Walther's cars are fine- they are modeling the actual cars used. The Rapido cars, while very nicely made, are Canadian models painted to match the New York Central. Not quite the same.

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/reviews/cm_ ... entury.php

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

hkc123 wrote:I am also interested in changing the 20th century limited grate on the end of the observation car so that it lights up like I believe it originally did. Any thoughts?
There are some ready-made circuits available, what you're looking for is a "constant lighting circuit," but you'll need to know if your boyfriend's railroad is powered by conventional DC current (a variable voltage) or DCC (a constant 18v DC).

Are there any good hobby shops in your neighborhood? They should be able to help you track down the parts you may need to add lighting to your models.

Sounds like a neat project! :-)

-otto-