• Modeling AMT Montreal

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by deandremouse

Since my first topic was locked & deleted I was to lazy to create a new thread untill NOW. This thread will track my progress, Share it with yall, and allow other AMT Montreal modelers to post & discuss their work here. Any NJT stuff related to AMT Montreal is also accepted. And I PROMISE, NO MORE CELL PHONE PICS!!!!! Well enough talk, let's get rolling!
Oh and I want to give a Big THANK YOU to Alex Rodriguez (simtech06) for supplying me with these cars. AND NO He dosent have any more SO DON'T bug him!

Well here is my first car before touch up work, and decals.-
AMT Montreal 720-
Ill try to upload more pics of this car after my camera stops acting up with lighting.
Coming Soon, 2 more cars!
  by deandremouse

Ex-NJT F40PH-2CAT 4118, now AMT Montreal 4118
  by Otto Vondrak

Maybe consider taking pictures using the "macro" setting on your camera? These don't appear very sharp, so it's hard for us to see what you're trying to show us.
  by deandremouse

Otto I think these are the same pictures from the previous thread.... Oh wait they are. I think I'm gonna take some phottos later and find the "suddenly" missing USB cord for my camera.
  by deandremouse

Status update-
as of 7/7/09 2 more cars have been done.
AMT Montreal 724 &
AMT Montreal 726
have been completed...
will post pictures when I find my cameras USB cord.....
  by deandremouse

Alright I finally found the pictures.. here they are Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
  by sullivan1985

deandremouse wrote:Alright I finally found the pictures.. here they are...
Don't use sharpies on model equipment. I can screw up the original paint!

Sigh...
  by deandremouse

Don't use sharpies on model equipment. I can screw up the original paint!

Sigh...
Yes thats sharpie on the cab car.. Sigh.. that was a mistake, but I recently fixed it.
  by Dieter

Well, one thing you've got to admit; you've made them look nearly as bad as the real thing :P

OK, you've got your heart set on this. You got the right kinds of coaches and for my eye, you have done a pretty good job of matching the colors.

Sully's right, NEVER take a magic marker to a train. What are you using for color? It looks like waterbased magic marker. You have the coloring correct, but mon frère, it's time to move up to using real Peinture.

Graphics; get some decal paper and try making your own rather than cutting and pasting logos. Go to a train store or better yet, a CLUB and talk to the guys there about where you can find AMT decals, or what THEY do to make their own decals. You may even meet someone who can sell them or who may even GIVE them to you.

Go to Canadian Tire, get some painters tape, get the right shades of paint at the train store, and dude, you have to TAKE YOUR TIME at it, because that's the only way you will be pleased with the results. If you don't know anybody with an air brush, get hobby paint in spray cans, read the directions and spray across the surface LIGHTLY and evenly. I'm pretty sure on one of your cars I saw a finger print, you have to let your work dry. Walk away and fuggedaboudit for the rest of the day, let the paint dry good and hard, before you remove the tape and go for the next color. Take your TIME, do not rush.

Does anybody make those Vickers coaches from Thunder Bay in HO that look like they came out of a 50's science fiction movie??

D/
  by deandremouse

I
Dieter wrote:Well, one thing you've got to admit; you've made them look nearly as bad as the real thing :P

OK, you've got your heart set on this. You got the right kinds of coaches and for my eye, you have done a pretty good job of matching the colors.

Sully's right, NEVER take a magic marker to a train. What are you using for color? It looks like waterbased magic marker. You have the coloring correct, but mon frère, it's time to move up to using real Peinture.

Graphics; get some decal paper and try making your own rather than cutting and pasting logos. Go to a train store or better yet, a CLUB and talk to the guys there about where you can find AMT decals, or what THEY do to make their own decals. You may even meet someone who can sell them or who may even GIVE them to you.

Go to Canadian Tire, get some painters tape, get the right shades of paint at the train store, and dude, you have to TAKE YOUR TIME at it, because that's the only way you will be pleased with the results. If you don't know anybody with an air brush, get hobby paint in spray cans, read the directions and spray across the surface LIGHTLY and evenly. I'm pretty sure on one of your cars I saw a finger print, you have to let your work dry. Walk away and fuggedaboudit for the rest of the day, let the paint dry good and hard, before you remove the tape and go for the next color. Take your TIME, do not rush.

Does anybody make those Vickers coaches from Thunder Bay in HO that look like they came out of a 50's science fiction movie??

D/
Got it. i have decal paper (somewhere) never tried it though, but this was done a WHILE ago.. I was recrommended paint pens/markers to do the blue by someone. I normally use spray paint, (done with the white) but because i was given the pens I tried them. ehh not so great. I plan on doing another car soon, using spray paint. I dont think anyone makes those cars... the closest is a walthers, that you can customize with stainless steel sides from another company...
  by Otto Vondrak

DeAndre-

Nice that you got a start on what you wanted to model... but I have to ask why you spent all this money to acquire the models, yet rushed through the painting and decoration, and used the cheapest materials possible to finish your models? Are you pleased with the results at all?

Here's the biggest tip of all: If you're trying to learn a new skill (like painting), then do it on some cheap cars that you don't mind ruining. In order for you to finish these models properly, you'll need to strip them down to their base and start over, which is not easy to do. Also realize that opaque (no see-through) hobby paints (Testors, Tamiya, Floquil, etc.) are available in spray cans in many hobby shops in a variety of colors. Second on the painter's tape to make clean lines.

I hope you keep going and try to improve your modeling skills over time. The first time you attempt a new project is always the hardest! You've got good ideas, now go finish the job with the right materials! :-)

-otto-
  by Dieter

Otto is On Track with this (like he usually is! :wink: ). Decals; talk to someone who has done it. My only experience with them, I used the wrong kind of ink on the sheet, and all the colors ran when they got wet!! :( TABERNAC! :(

Those double decker cars you took a Sharpie to, there's an article in recent years in Model Railroader about stripping paint from plastic shells you need to find. That car needs to be stripped and reprimed. On one of the coaches, the paint was way too thick, you need to use a different kind of paint and LESS of it. I think you're going to want to strip EVERYTHING off the shells of what you've worked on already and start from scratch. You're in Montreal, SOMEBODY on the West Island must know who makes AMT decals.

Go to the hobby shops, go to the clubs and TALK to the people there. They can spare you a lot of trouble and money in the long run. Stick with it, museum quality results are right around the corner!

D/
  by deandremouse

I didnt rush this prooject, i actually got the cars a few weeks ahead of time..
I did not do this properly thats what happened, I took off the masking tape when the paint was still wet, and paint had also seeped through the tape. I also didnt use gloves . I think ill redo these in the near future. Thanks for the wise words otto. And by the way those wheelchair and phone icons are decals that came with the cars.

Im in Queens, NY. I think i know someone who does special decals near me.
  by Otto Vondrak

deandremouse wrote:I didnt rush this prooject, i actually got the cars a few weeks ahead of time...
lol... You may have gotten the models well in advance of your project date, but you did indeed rush and instead of waiting for the right materials, you plunged headfirst into the pool... Hey, hopefully you learned something out of this, and your next attempt will be AWESOME!

-otto-
  by Dieter

You're in QUEENS??

That explains your lack of materials. I thought you were somewhere between Laval and Longueuil. I just fired off an E-mail to some people who may be able to help with a source for AMT decals. Checking Champ (which is up for sale!) they don't have any such offering.

D/