• Modeling a MARC GP40WH-2

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by csrrfan86

Hello all,

I have some spare parts lying around and would like to model a MARC GP40WH-2 of which the MBTA is currently leasing 5. I know they have a F45 cab and SD45 radiator grills. Is this unit on a regular GP40 frame??

Found this website which is somewhat helpful: http://www.trainweb.org/marcrailfan/gp40.html

Thanks!

W.
  by deandremouse

I would say get An Athearn FP/F45 Blue box kit and cut the cab off (since the cab on the prototype is a FP45 cab)

and a GP40 frame and shell.. probably a GP40X would do, just swapping the cabs and super detailing if you please.
  by jwhite07

Remember that the FP45 is a cowl-carbody design and the GP40X is a hood unit, so it's far more complicated than just chop-and-swap cabs. You'd have to either fabricate new rear cab doors or cut them from the cab you're replacing. Also keep in mind that you would have to cut the FP45 cab at the bottom along the frame as well as at the rear of the cab compartment, and then remove the short hood and battery boxes from the GP40X shell at frame level to make space for the FP45 cab to sit in its place on the GP40X shell. Doable for someone with the right tools and skill set, but definitely not a simple swap job!

The GP40WH-2 frame was stretched slightly to provide room for the HEP generator at the rear of the locomotive, and the HEP unit has a separate cooling fan on the rear hood roof (meaning the GP40WH-2 has four of them, or five if you also count the dynamic brake cooling fan). A GP40X overall length is 59' 2", while a GP40WH-2 is 62' 5". Depending on the level of fidelity desired, it could be a pretty major job to faithfully reproduce one of these things. If you're looking for an acceptable stand-in, the solution that deandremouse described, along with my added comments, would suffice.
  by ApproachMedium

The rear radaiators are not correct using a GP40X you would have to use an SD45 to be a bit closer in that respect, and then use smaller fans. Also keep in mind the rear porch on the WH and NJT GP40PH locos is the same, and has the veritical ladders in the back which are the same as an SDP40/SDP35 etc etc...
  by jwhite07

Not too much closer... the Canadian-style wide cab is a much different design than an F45's cab, so it would still need to be replaced.

Nice model there, too - I'd be reluctant to cut it up!
  by csrrfan86

The canadian wide cabs are on MBTA's GP40MC which were the same locomotives as the Pan Am GP40-2LW's. Thanks everyone for your input!
  by diburning

You would need to modify the cab extensively to model the MBTA locomotives. I believe that the nose was lowered, and the windows replaced with more conventional rectangular ones. The numberboards were moved to the nose, and marker lights were put in their place.