• Model trains and Summer heat?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NellsChoo

All my model train stuff is up in my brother'd old bedroom... in our attic. Now, he had two air conditioners up there, but now that he's gone, there are none. So my stuff bakes up there during the day now that the warm weather has set in.

I know locomotived get warm just from running, but how much heat is TOO MUCH heat? I don't want any of my engines and rolling stock to get ruined. Styrene model kits can warp in that heat, but how about built N scale equipment?

Do I need to worry? They are all stored in their cases.

JD
  by BrianS

I would find a cooler, drier place to store you stuff. after a while the heat and humidity will cause problems. The plastic will warp, craze, crack, paint and decals will break down, eventually shortening the life of the cars and engines. gears and the inner workings of you power im sure will suffer. you should take the power out and clean, inspect and lube it if needed at lease once a year. Also moisture will build up causing rust on anything metallic. bugs and rodents will cause problems. Get some long, wide and shallow tupperware containers and store them under a bed, top shelf of a closet or something, anywhere drier and less humid.

Brian - conductor NECR[/list]

by NellsChoo

I was afraid you'd say that. I better go up there and make some changes. There just isn't much room left in "prime" locations. I have walls of unbuilt styrene car kits in this room I'm in now, for the ery reason some are very hard to replace and I don't want them to warp.