Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TheKornGuy

I just caught this video of an F40, MNRR marked, running on NJT lines, pulling 2 NJT passenger cars and 2 MNRR passenger cars that I have never seen before. Can anyone explain why NJT is using that engine and why the two MNRR passenger cars in the middle are not seen in regular MNRR service?
Here is the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zDFnlUg4B6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Splitting topic

by AmtrakE60

NJ Transit and Metro North run two lines in New York together. They pool the equipment. Among the list of equipment are: Metro North GP40PH-2 (4190) F40PH-2CAT (4191-4194) and GP40FH-2 (4184-4189) along with Comet V Coaches. Any mix of NJT/MNRR equipment can be found.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Splitting topic

by TheKornGuy

what lines in NY do they run together?

by Erie-Lackawanna

Metro-North's west of Hudson service is operated under contract by NJ Transit. There are two lines: the Port Jervis Line and the Pascack Valley Line. Both operate out of Hoboken Terminal.

Jim
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Splitting topic

by TheKornGuy

Ahh I never noticed the NJ portion of that map before!! But how exactly did this happen? Who's tracks were these in the first place? MNRR or NJT? And why exactly do they jointly operate them? Does it have anything to do with NJT not being allowed to operate by themselves in NY State?

by Erie-Lackawanna

NJT, as an agency of the State of New Jersey, is not obligated to provide service outside of the State of New Jersey. Therefore, if New York State wants the service, they operate it themselves, or they pay NJT to do it for them. They chose the latter.

All of SEPTA, NJT, & MNR's tracks were owned by Conrail, and its predecessors, prior to 01/01/1983. On that date, Conrail was relieved of the requirement to provide money-losing passenger service, and the states that funded such service were required to figure out how to provide the service without Conrail's help.

Jim

by Jeff Smith

Jim, quick follow-up question on WOH lines - were they EL, your alias namesake? Did they run continuously after the Conrail takeover, and subsequent MNRR takeover? Was EL part of PC consol?

by Erie-Lackawanna

They were Erie, then Erie Lackawanna, then Conrail, then MNR/NJT. Passenger service operated continuously throughout that time, although at much lower frequencies than under MNR.

Erie Lackawanna was never a part of Penn Central. Bite your tongue!!! ;-)

Jim

by Jeff Smith

LOL my bad, Jim. Hey, in my defense, I was born in 61, so the whole NH - PC - CR - MTA - MNRR thing got a bit confusing. I didn't care, I just wanted to ride trains! Give me that old 4400? washboard / sardine can today with the diamond pants and 2 by 2 seating. Ah, the smell.....it's like the smell of napalm in the morning, only a lot more pungent. Although the arrival of the M-2 was very exciting.

Thanks for the info, now I'm going to troll EBay for an EL stock certificate I can frame and put in my train room I plan on building.

Jeff
  by Jeff Smith

Admin note: topic maintenance. Don't mind the dust...
  by njtmnrrbuff

Here's the deal. The Pt. Jervis and Pascack Valley Line are operated by New Jersey Transit, even though there are multiple stops in New York State. Since those two lines are as part of the Hoboken Division, it's not uncommon to find a hodgepodge of NJT and MNR cars operating on them. The MTA, if possible, likes to keep solid MNR sets on the trains heading north of Suffern. The Metro North cars and locomotives often show up on other Hoboken Division Lines such as the Morris & Essex. Last night at NWK Broad Street station, I noticed a solid set of Metro North Comet Vs running on a Hoboken to Summit local.
  by TDowling

Since NJT will eventually replace all their cars with multilevels, will this be the demise of the single level mnrr marked cars as well?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Might get transferred east like the Comet IIs did when the Comet Vs arrived, or might stay as a small fleet exclusive for MNCR service.