• Mishap at Union Station, Utica, NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by RussNelson

RussNelson wrote:FYI, the cited distance of 1.5 miles is within the F.X.Matt brewery. It's also the only possible origin of a car without reverse moves.
Another story says "The New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway car - which was carrying plastic pellets - was parked near the Burrstone Road bridge off the North-South Arterial.", which is a fair bit more than 1/2 mile.
  by RussNelson

Silly signals question: would a lone car trip the crossing detector and lower the gate / ring the bell / flash the lights? Cuz if not, I'll bet a few drivers have brown pants seeing a lone hopper fly across Oriskany and down Schuyler with no signals.
  by tree68

RussNelson wrote:Silly signals question: would a lone car trip the crossing detector and lower the gate / ring the bell / flash the lights? Cuz if not, I'll bet a few drivers have brown pants seeing a lone hopper fly across Oriskany and down Schuyler with no signals.
Very possibly - a light loco will usually trip signals.

The problem is the speed the signals are set for. I'm guessing that speeds on that line are in the range of 10-15 MPH. A car travelling at 40 would likely be on the crossing long before the gates finished coming down. I'm really amazed it didn't take anyone out on Oriskany Street...
  by SST

I was wondering the samething. It would have been an unusual sigth to see a single car pass through a crossing.

Looking at the 6th picture from the previous post, I would hope they hustle and get the car and the locomotive out of there. It appears to me that there are 2 significant structural cracks in the stairwell above the tender.
  by pumpers

From the comments posted to the news site at the link given in the first post in this thread, which are very interesting, apparently the hopper was moving an estimated 40 mph already on Schuyler St. It did hit a car somewhere along the route (without injuries fortunately), but clearly it didn't slow the car down much. Not clear to me exactly where the car collision occurred.
JS
  by sd80mac

SST wrote:I was wondering the samething. It would have been an unusual sigth to see a single car pass through a crossing.

Looking at the 6th picture from the previous post, I would hope they hustle and get the car and the locomotive out of there. It appears to me that there are 2 significant structural cracks in the stairwell above the tender.

the brick wall is just for a nice look and keep weather out. not for structural support. they did not move them out because they're holding the building up which is most likely the reason. also if you move tender, it would scrap the support. That would cause brick wall fall onto tender. You need to secure everything first before you move anything.
  by sd80mac

im not getting straight information on where hopper car originally was set at. earlier in FB someone said that NYSW mentioned that this car was in storage line along the Canal rd. one said at customer's place and other said ?? wherever that place I forget... Some said 1/2 mile away from point of collision. few said 1.5 mi away. other said 2.5 mi away.

article said that it had possible caused at least 2 car accidents. one of them that a person saw it coming and tried to stop but too late. and driver got injury in the neck. It even interviewed and quoted the driver. Another articles didn't mention it.
  by ut-1

Covered hopper was under the Burrstone Road Bridge on a siding off the main, approx 2.5 miles from point of impact.

There is a "Canal Branch" that diverts off the NYS&W main approx 1/2 mile south of the siding. This leads to New Hartford on ex-NYO&W tracks and to New York Mills on ex-West Shore tracks.

The hopper did not come off these tracks. These hoppers placed on this siding eventually go to Fountainhead Group in NY Mills.
  by sd80mac

ut-1 wrote:Covered hopper was under the Burrstone Road Bridge on a siding off the main, approx 2.5 miles from point of impact.
Thanks for clarifying! Appreciate it
  by tree68

jurtz wrote:Does anyone know if a derail is normally used on the siding at that location?
I'm betting one will be used now...
  by sd80mac

Micrale that noone got killed or injured, especially crossing one busy intersection, one main crossing and noone around platform near steam loco or inside stairway