Railroad Forums 

• Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN: Metro Transit commuter rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#710873  by mtuandrew

mtuandrew wrote:At the moment, this is their proposed fare schedule:

Fares to Minneapolis (one-way):
Big Lake - $7
Elk River - $5.50
Anoka - $4
Coon Rapids - $4
Fridley - $3.25
Just got confirmation via email that these will be the weekday fares to Minneapolis, one-way. Weekday station-to-station rides will be $3.25, weekend and holiday rates will range from $5.25 to $2.50, senior/youth/Medicare weekend and holiday rates will be from $1.75 to 75 cents, and children 5 and under ride free. There doesn't appear to be a discount for seniors, youth or Medicare card holders on weekdays.

http://www.metrotransit.org/Northstar/riding.asp
 #711776  by mtuandrew

This arrived in my inbox today, though I heard it on the radio first:
Dan Erhart, NCDA Chair and Anoka County Commissioner wrote:Dear Andrew,

After a dozen years of hard work and commitment to make it a reality, the Northstar Commuter Rail Line from Big Lake to downtown Minneapolis will begin passenger service on Monday, November 16.

This exciting announcement was the focus of a media event that took place this afternoon at the Downtown Minneapolis Ballpark Station. Read the news release for more details about the announcement.

Metro Transit, which will operate the Northstar Line, and Northstar officials have been busy putting the final touches on stations and testing Northstar trains to prepare for the service. Media also got a first look at the inside of Northstar's passenger cars today.

We hope you also will mark your calendars for Saturday, November 14, when the public will have an opportunity to celebrate Northstar's opening during events held at each Northstar station. Each station event will include a program, information about how to ride Northstar, refreshments and family-friendly activities and a chance to be among the first riders on a Northstar train. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more information.

As Northstar's opening day approaches, I'm reminded that none of this would have been possible without the determination and dedication of many federal, state and local officials, members of the business community and supporters like you. Thank you.

Let's get ready to ride the line on November 16.

Sincerely,

Dan Erhart
NCDA Chair
Very welcome news. :-D
 #738699  by lpetrich

It's now open: Northstar commuter line hits the (rail) road (Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
It took nearly 13 years, $320 million and a few major derailments, but the Northstar commuter rail line made its initial run this morning, moving full speed ahead out of Big Lake at 5 a.m.
The line goes about 40 miles from downtown Minneapolis to Big Lake, and there are plans to go another 40 miles, to St. Cloud.

Its home page: http://www.mn-getonboard.org/

A few days earlier, the Hiawatha Line light-rail system was extended from Hennepin Ave. to Target Field, where it shares a station with Northstar commuter rail. A nice bit of connectivity.

Some more commuter-rail plans for that area:

Red Rock (southeast from St. Paul): http://www.redrockrail.org/
Rush (north from St. Paul): http://www.rushline.org/
 #738951  by umtrr-author

Hmm, looks like I need an excuse to go back to the Twin Cities.

And not just for the Northstar... I need to ride the new section of the light rail also. I've been on the entire line prior to that short extension past Hennepin.
 #745682  by mtuandrew

Trip report, finally! Apologies for the lack of pictures, as I didn't think to bring my camera.

Despite being open for nearly a month, I hadn't ridden the Northstar Line yet - today finally gave me an excuse. I took the last train into Minneapolis from Anoka, departing such at 7:38 AM. The ticketing procedure was easy enough - one just approaches the ticket kiosks near the platform, buys a ticket (your choice of one-way or RT, with different rates for different riders), and waits for the train. The train approached us cab-first, about a minute late, but as far as I know we made up that time even with slow running through Northtown Yard and Northeast Minneapolis. North of the yard, especially between Coon Rapids-Riverdale and Fridley stations, the train seemed to be doing 79 mph.

The Bombardier bi-level coaches are quite nice. There is a retractable step to board the train, as the platform is perhaps 6 inches at most, but it appears as though that step folds out to become a wheelchair ramp. Every other set of four chairs had a table, the coaches are well lit (and quite clean as of yet), and the seats are plenty comfortable for the hour-long trip from Big Lake to Minneapolis. I didn't look for outlets as I was sans laptop, but I'm guessing they're there. Likewise with bathrooms. I do wish there was a cafe aboard or at the stations, as I could use a bagel and a cup of coffee :-)

At Ballpark Station, the transfer from Northstar to light rail is fairly easy - move to the end of the platform, go upstairs through the enclosed station attached to Target Field, and find the LRT waiting. If one wants a bus, they'll have to walk about a block across 5th Street to the transit center.

Ridership seemed somewhat low for a Monday morning, the four-coach train was only about a third full at most. None of the parking facilities were particularly full either, despite this being the last train (of five) of the morning. One suggestion would be to add a noontime train to downtown and an 11:00 or midnight train back to the suburbs. Many other cities (as well as our own Hiawatha Line) have large numbers of riders for midday shopping and evening event-goers, but anyone taking the last train into town at 5 PM is stranded there - unless they want to immediately ride back to the northwest burbs.

I'd give Metro Transit an A for equipment, an A for timeliness, an A- for facilities as they're still very spare but sufficient, and a middling B for schedule convenience - it's fine for workers going to town and back, not nearly as good for anyone who wants a convenient way to see the big game or go to night school after work.

As an aside, while traversing Northtown Yard GN 1914 made an appearance, in roughly the same place as that picture. Someone with a sense of history even dug up a Rocky logo for that SD39's nose, though a few other sites have mentioned this ex-ATSF unit isn't long for BNSF service.
 #745933  by mtuandrew

RETURN TRIP:

I took the last daily trip north left at 6:10 PM - that's just ridiculous, and Metro Transit needs to negotiate with BNSF to get better timing even if it means dropping one train daily. Again, the cars were quite empty, with perhaps a person per every 6 seats in the lead car, and I hope that doesn't portend poorly for the service. Maybe it was more full towards the rear, since that was closest to the Ballpark Station platform entrance.

I took a better look around the coach on the way back - there's a pair of outlets for each set of 4 chairs and a table, but the sets of chairs without tables have none. The bathroom was pretty large, certainly much more so than the average Amtrak facility, but I suspect it's only because it has to be handicap-accessible. Other than that, there's not much that's remarkable beyond the exceptional cleanliness of the trains inside and out. With the largely unenclosed stations though, it seems like it'll be much more pleasant when we're riding to Twins games rather than Vikings. ;)
 #749449  by jstolberg

Mortenson Construction has been selected for the reconstruction of Union Depot in St. Paul. "The $150-million project is scheduled to begin in 2010 and is scheduled to reopen as a regional transit hub in 2012. Once complete, Union Depot will provide service for passenger rail, buses and light rail trains, and deliver transit services to the Minneapolis - St. Paul metropolitan area."
http://www.rejournals.com/news/213259-m ... n-st.-paul

Animation at http://www.regionalrail.org/depotanimation.html
 #749483  by mtuandrew

jstolberg wrote:Mortenson Construction has been selected for the reconstruction of Union Depot in St. Paul. "The $150-million project is scheduled to begin in 2010 and is scheduled to reopen as a regional transit hub in 2012. Once complete, Union Depot will provide service for passenger rail, buses and light rail trains, and deliver transit services to the Minneapolis - St. Paul metropolitan area."

Good to hear! It's not technically Northstar, but for the moment this is the catch-all Twin Cities commuter rail thread, as it sounds like Red Rock is quite a ways off.
 #754668  by stmp692

mtuandrew wrote:
jstolberg wrote:Mortenson Construction has been selected for the reconstruction of Union Depot in St. Paul. "The $150-million project is scheduled to begin in 2010 and is scheduled to reopen as a regional transit hub in 2012. Once complete, Union Depot will provide service for passenger rail, buses and light rail trains, and deliver transit services to the Minneapolis - St. Paul metropolitan area."

Good to hear! It's not technically Northstar, but for the moment this is the catch-all Twin Cities commuter rail thread, as it sounds like Red Rock is quite a ways off.

Proably as good of a time as any to start a thread :)
 #758585  by JackRussell

Oh, nice. I really hated that station in Midway.

When I was a kid, I don't think I ever went through the station in St. Paul - we always used to use the Great Northern depot in Mpls...
 #758615  by mtuandrew

mkerfe wrote:Who supplies the T&E crews for NorthStar? Is it BNSF, Amtrak or did they hire their own?

Thanks!
BNSF supplies the T&E crews, though I'm not sure of the exact arrangement, as they wear Metro Transit patches on their clothing as well.
JackRussell wrote:Oh, nice. I really hated that station in Midway.

When I was a kid, I don't think I ever went through the station in St. Paul - we always used to use the Great Northern depot in Mpls...
Midway Station is still there and still rockin' the seventies. :wink: The SPUD project hasn't begun construction yet, though I imagine that if they REALLY wanted to move out of Midway they could get something up and running in a year.
 #758737  by mtuandrew

More Northstar news: overnight parking and shuttles to Anoka-Ramsey Community College.
Greetings Andrew,
Have you been hoping to take the Northstar Commuter Rail and Hiawatha Light Rail trains to the airport for a business trip or vacation? Or ride Northstar into Minneapolis for an overnight stay? Now you can.

In response to requests from Northstar supporters like you, Metro Transit added overnight parking in the park-and-ride lots at Northstar's suburban rail stations. The six-month pilot program designates up to 10 spaces each at the Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids-Riverdale and Fridley stations. The designated spaces are available for overnight parking only with each car permitted to occupy the space for no longer than seven days at a time. Signs mark the overnight parking spots. For more information, visit, www.metrotransit.com/northstar.

Also this week, the Anoka-Ramsey Community College began providing shuttle service for Northstar commuters traveling to and from its three locations in Coon Rapids.

At the request of students and employees, Anoka-Ramsey Community College is offering free morning and afternoon rides to and from the Coon Rapids-Riverdale station. The shuttle service will run Monday through Thursday on class days only. Visit Anoka-Ramsey Community College for more information about shuttle times and pick up locations.

Northstar has had a great first two months of service and we are pleased to pass these added amenities along to you. We will email you periodically about other Northstar developments, as well as efforts to extend Northstar train service all the way to St. Cloud. Thank you for your continued support.

Best regards,

Dan Erhart, Chair
Northstar Corridor Development Authority
 #765804  by neroden

mtuandrew wrote:Midway Station is still there and still rockin' the seventies. :wink: The SPUD project hasn't begun construction yet, though I imagine that if they REALLY wanted to move out of Midway they could get something up and running in a year.
The timing is entirely dependent on the US Post Office (!) which is currently using parts of the station for mail sorting (!). They've been delaying their move to a modern mail sorting center in Eagan repeatedly. As a result, huge portions of the SPUD project are ready to go, prepared based on earlier move-out dates, and just waiting for the moment the Post Office moves out. I believe the following are correct: the property acquisitions are done; the existing renters have been accomodated; the preliminary design work is done; the agreement with Amtrak is in place; sufficient space has been found for everything Amtrak will need; CP is on board; the environmental approvals are done; the funding is in place; and now the contractor has been given the design-build award.

Once the Post Office moves out the entire project should happen really fast. Everyone is just waiting for that to happen.