• MILW structure and ballast colors...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

Go Dag!

Norwegian for "Good Day," I think (been a while since I had a lesson with Grandpa...), anyway, good day, and I have a question to pick the brains of my fellow Milwaukee Road buffs here.

After a long hiatus, I am getting back to working on my layout. Right now, I am working on the engine servicing facility that will service my small fleet of ALCo. locomotives. It is located on a branchline and will feature the long disused steam servicing facilities (an ash pit, water tower and coaling station) for a bit of history and a sense of heritage of the previous operator of the line. In this case, the Milwaukee Road.

So, I was wondering, what colors the Milwaukee Road used on its buildings, namely its water towers, coal docks, etc. I've talked to a few guys, and they think they were light grey with dark grey trim, but they weren't 100% sure.

Also, what colors did the MILW use for its mainline, yard and servicing ballast? Just currious.