• Milk service on the Middletown & Unionville

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by wc8666a

Hello,

I am a history student at American University in Washington, DC. For my senior paper topic, I am writing on the Middletown & Unionville which served the rural farming communities outside of Middletown, NY. In my paper, I am focusing on the milk traffic over the M&U. I am arguing in my paper that the "M&U, mile for mile, hauled more milk than any other railroad in the United States" from 1929 - 1941. The reason for this distinction was because of this were numerous farms, cremaries, and condensaries located along this almost 15 mile line. As many of you know, the M&U connected with the Erie, Ontario & Western, and Susquahanna. I found out that the Susquehanna, because of the M&U which the Susquehanna leased until 1913, hauled the most milk on a mile per mile basis compared to the other railroads that provided milk service to New York City and the surrounding metropolitan region.

In order to bolster my arguement, I am looking for the following information on the milk traffic transported over other railroads in the United States during or relative to the aforementioned period for compartive reasons.This information included the total miles of route and number of fourty quart milk cans transported over the railroad. I can then use this information to compute the cans per mile and quarts per mile. I would need the sources from which your information comes from to cite in my paper. If you know of any other sources that may continai the statistics that I am seeking, I would also appreciate having contact information for these sources. I am sending out this message to muliple email railroad history lists and websites, so I appologize if you receive this message in duplicate.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
[email protected]

by Rockingham Racer

There was a discussion on milk trains at the Boston & Maine forum I believe. Try doing a search on milk trains.
  by henry6

Several good books on milk trains and cars. Check your libraries, NYO&W NRHS chapter books list, and individual railroad histories: re: DL&W, D&H, ERIE, B&M, NYC, NH, LV, CNJ, NYO&W, RUTLAND to name a few. Also check agricultural histories.
  by 2nd trick op

Yahoo has a very active milk train interest group. While somwhat more oriented toward modelers, just about every road's milk operations have been touched upon at one time or another.

Here's the link: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/m ... d=91295291