• Middletown, Campbell Hall and Environs

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by riffian

Was out exploring today in Southern New York and I was hoping some knowledgeable New Yorker could answer a couple of questions. I followed the branch down from Walden through Montgomery, but did not see any obviously active customers. There are always 30 or 40 cars in Campbell Hall....where are they all consigned to? There dosen't appear to be any customers west of Campbell Hall, nor any north. Found the old O&W depot in Middletown - what a sad sight. Is the track which passes in front of there the only access to the Middletown and New Jersey? The track was in extremely horrific condition, but appeared to be still in use. Finally, I found the end of the M&NJ, but found the Agway plant burned to the ground. There were two center-flos of plastic pellets spotted there, and I assumed they were for the Gentech plant nearby, although that large plastic plant is not near the tracks. After a couple of trips up to this area the only large consignee I can find is the Nepara Checmical plant in Harriman. Any info will be most gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance!

by nysw3636

As far as the Montgomery Branch is concerned, only customer now is Ampac in Walden(lots of cars). Truffa Seed in Walden has closed I believe because I saw a "for sale" sign on the property. Wickes Lumber in Walden has a siding, but don't think they use it. Other area would be the Hudson Secondary Track from Hudson Junction to Warwick. Customers include Jones Chemical in Warwick, Kuiken Bros Lumber in Warwick, frozen food place in Chester. Used to be Mid-State Lumber in Chester? and Suburban Propane?? in Chester. Also, on the mainline, there is someone in Port Jervis at Buckley's siding, Orange and Rockland Power??, and another??. Not sure if Shoprite at Red Onion and 84 Lumber at Middletown receives anymore. And you did mention the interchange with the Middletown and New Jersey RR (never seen them in action). I believe Nepara and Jones Chemical are the biggest cusomers served from Campbell Hall. Others might have more. Hope this helps...

ASD

by rhallock

I was in Walden about a week ago and there were two sidings with cars, Ampack in Walden which had one car and a lumber yard just south of there which had two. Another branch from Campbell Hall goes through Maybrook (formerly went to the Poughkeepsie bridge) and just north of Maybrook are two more customers. One is Eastern Alloys which had one car, the other is Russin Lumber which had about 4 cars.
Wakefern Foods (Shoprite) just east of Middletown used to get cars and also Revere Smelting . These are on Ballard road which is the area called "Red Onion" by the railroad. Rowley lumber is the place in Chester.
  by spflanger

NS still runs up the branch from "Four Story" or the mainline, into Middletown. They service Rowley lumber and the M&NJ. NS does very minimal work on the branch from the mainline to Main St in Middletown. When something goes on the ground then they work on it.

GENPAK is on a spur by Orange & Rockland and they are the only customer for the M&NJ at this time.

Four Story is the name given to the mainline connection years ago. If you listen in to traffic you can hear them refer to it.

Hopefully things will be changing in the months ahead for the Middletown branch ( M&NJ is for sale). Time will tell...........

by riffian

Thanks guys! I knew you were out there somewhere. With the closure of Nepera chemical in Harriman it looks like a good chunk of traffic on this stretch will be lost. Jones chemical appears to be the only large remaining customer left. I wonder how long before NS moves to transfer this track to the NS&W.