Railroad Forums 

• Michigan Central Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1238620  by mtuandrew

markhb wrote:Looking at the slideshow in the DFP article, I just had a terrific idea. I'm not sure how many here are aware of this, but the sequel to Man of Steel, the recent Superman movie, is also going to include Batman. They've already essentially announced that in this film, the part of Metropolis will be played by Chicago, and the role of Gotham City will be played by Detroit (it's also doing most of its sound-stage photography in the Wolverine State as well). My thought was this: imagine that there's a scene set in the train station in Gotham, and, of course, they use MCS as the set. The kicker is, imagine that MCS, in its current, crumbling, graffiti-covered condition, is the actual working Gotham train station. (IOW, picture it as if all that was done to MCS was to sweep up the floor and turn on some lights, and they then immediately reopened for Amtrak service.) Granted, it's not exactly promoting Detroit, but it seems like a decent establishing shot for a moodily-built city whose only bright spot is a billionaire who leaps from rooftops while dressed as a bat. (Disclaimer: author has been a hardcore Batman fan since elementary school.)
I'm sure we could scrape up a mixed bag of tattered mid-1970s commuter railcars to use for that movie, and a smoky F40PH to lead.
 #1290112  by markhb

A new rumor has sprung up regarding Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. Apparently, the crew is going to be doing some filming at MCS.... there have been equipment trucks spotted there as well as some security guards. Now with these two photos being thought by some to resemble the interior of MCS, the thought is: that MCS may actually be housing the Batcave. Does anyone in the Detroit area want to keep an eye out?
 #1315714  by markhb

Hey, another Batman vs Superman question. Is there anyone here who has some knowledge of the interior of MCS? More specifically, does this look like it?

#1318769  by mtuandrew

jimnorthwood wrote:No plans for MCS, at least nothing being made public, but the window company has to be happy.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/busine ... /23894001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it wrong of me to be suspicious of plans involving the Morouns?
 #1319490  by Detroit

mtuandrew wrote: Is it wrong of me to be suspicious of plans involving the Morouns?
Had the Morouns not owned the MCT, it surely would have been razed over a decade ago. Just like numerous other run-down buildings in Detroit had been.

Nearly 15 years ago, the Detroit Police Department considered rehabbing it for its new headquarters. However, the city's auditor-general determined that doing that back then would have an estimated minimum cost of $140 million.
 #1319497  by Gilbert B Norman

From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami--

I'm sorry volks, but if the young millennials I met, and who shared their time with this old codger, and who want to be part of a Detroit Renaissance, wish to see this fulfilled within their lifetimes, eyesores like Michigan Central, and for that matter Packard, have got to go.

Beyond occasional gigs as a movie set, what on earth does that structure have to offer in the way of economic value?
 #1319578  by CHTT1

It a huge old building that would cost millions to rebuild and millions more to operate. It just isn't practical. Same as Buffalo's Central Terminal. Too big for today's needs.
 #1319645  by mtuandrew

dowlingm wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Is it wrong of me to be suspicious of plans involving the Morouns?
No.
That's what I thought. :wink:
Detroit wrote:Had the Morouns not owned the MCT, it surely would have been razed over a decade ago. Just like numerous other run-down buildings in Detroit had been.

Nearly 15 years ago, the Detroit Police Department considered rehabbing it for its new headquarters. However, the city's auditor-general determined that doing that back then would have an estimated minimum cost of $140 million.
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that they own the property and haven't torn down the building, but in the same sense that a prisoner is more thankful for 5-to-10 than life without parole.

That said, I doubt Michigan Central Station will ever be used as a train station again, and I also think that neither the City nor the Morouns will ever find a tenant for the building.
 #1320417  by Suburban Station

CHTT1 wrote:It a huge old building that would cost millions to rebuild and millions more to operate. It just isn't practical. Same as Buffalo's Central Terminal. Too big for today's needs.
Both cities have embarrassing stations today but I guess that reflects their embarrassing conditions. Isn't michigan central on the way to Toronto?