• MFL Speed restrictions

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

Does anyone know why there is a speed restriction between Girard & Spring Garden, both directions? Its been there for about 2 weeks now. Trains used to fly over that section, now they kind of poke along like the regional rails do.

by Bill R.

Between Girard & Spring Garden is not the only place with a speed restriction. Train speed between Margaret (Say it Mar-Gar-Et)-Orthodox and Bridge-Pratt is also slooooooowwwwww.

by walt

One of the reasons for an early speed restriction ( just north of York-Dauphin- southbound) was a fatal accident which occurred not long after the M-3's replaced the 1907 & 1920's equipment. The M-3's were much faster than the old trains and a southbound late evening train took the curve too fast and derailed slamming into the southbound platform at York-Dauphin and killing a passenger ( a night watchman at the old Lit Brothers Department Store).

by wagz

I used to notice back when trains flew through the Spring Garden to Girdard section going northbound, that just after the tracks curve under I-95 there was a possible kink in track or something to that effect. They used to barrel through there and the train would suddenly jolt to the side. It was very jarring if you happened to be leaning on a window or wall. Maybe that's why they added the speed restriction.

Joe

by jfrey40535

Come to think of it I noticed that too, but it seems the restriction is in both directions. Maybe there was some structural movement that caused the track to kink? In any case its annoying, I wonder if they plan to fix it?

by PhillyBoy890

I've noticed that between Spring Graden-Girard it's been like that i think for about a 1 year or proably more, but i do remember when the EL used to speed through there ,and the speed restriction betweent
Margaret-Othodox To Frankford is for the track clearing , because there might be two trains at the station ,and one train has to leave to clear the track. That sometimes effects my schedule it makes me miss my bus sometimes.

by jfrey40535

An operator told me not too long ago that the track from the tunnel portal to Spring Garden was replaced a few years ago, so I don't see why its so darn slow!

Its so bad, I watched a Rt 25 bus beat us from Spring Garden to Girard. Now how bad is that!