• Metrolink Derails

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by metrarider

The situation is reminisent of the grade crossing accident in the UK back in October, although that incident did not involve multiple trains, as in this current case.

very sad indeed, current toll is put at 9 dead, over 100 injured

by The S.P. Caboose

Tragic!!!!!! All seven television news stations have been following this story all day so far, since 6:02am pacific time. I know some of the crew members that work for Amtrak and Union Pacific. None of them where assigned to any of the three trains involved. It'll probably take the crew assigned to these trains about three days before they can get some sleep. Just tragic!!!!!

by updrumcorpsguy

On one of the other boards, where the conversation is rapidly (and predictably) degenerating, they keep talking about the Metrolink Cab Cars. My question is this: Is a "Cab Car" a gutted locomotive (like the Cascades use on one end) or is it a car specifically manufactured to run the "real" locomotive in a push mode?

by metrarider

Metrolink uses Bombardier coaches and cab cars, so it's purpose built passenger car with cab controls, rather than a gutted locomotive ala Amtraks 'Cabbage' control cars

by updrumcorpsguy

Thanks! I knew I could get a sensible explanation here.

Such a needless tradgedy. My thoughts are with the victims. I wish a speedy recovery for those with injuries.

by savetheCZ

According to the AP it was some deranged suicidal 'tard had parked his truck on the tracks. It said that he was not parked at a grade crossing. He drove down the right of way got his vehicle stuck on the tracks then he changed his mind and couldn't get his car off the tracks and walked away.

Because someone was having a bad day 10 people die, hundreds injured and hundreds of thousands in damages. Mental illness and suicidal tendencies are bad news and a serious issue but why would someone want to bring so many people down with them? 50 tylenol and it's over and no one else gets hurt.

I can see why sometimes there are concerns with railfans hanging around the tracks and yards. They never know who is a terrorist or a deranged suicidal 'tard or who is a benign "normal" railfan.

by AmtrakFan

Oh My God it is Disaster good thing Amtrak is getting out of running them. My Thoughts and prayers go to the people Effected. Brings back horrible memoreis of Bourbaines,IL I was home that week sick so I was watching TV all day. I remeber evey detail about it.

John
Last edited by AmtrakFan on Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by The S.P. Caboose

Agreed Amtrak Fan. A very tragic thing to happen. Having known some people who work for Amtrak and Union Pacific, I feel the pain of the crew on board these three trains.