• Metro's revised track work & maintenance plan

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MCL1981

Was this one of those "OK, that won't change anything, but if you say so..." moments? Reducing train speed is not going to reduce the instances of insulators failing.
  by schmod

Is it just me, or do the power-related speed restrictions seem to be based upon a fundamental misunderstanding of how electricity works?

High current draw might cause problems for the transformers, but doesn't cause track fires.
  by Sand Box John

"schmod"
Is it just me, or do the power-related speed restrictions seem to be based upon a fundamental misunderstanding of how electricity works?

No it's based on an understanding that theater will give the ignorant public a sense of safety in the same way as the theater preformed by the TSA at airports gives the public a sense of security.

You and I know the only way to eliminate track fires is to clean up the combustible materials that accumulate in close proximity to the third rail. I only hope that one of the tasks preformed during the up coming maintenance surge is doing just that.
  by JDC

How will posters be affected by Safe Track? MY first big obstacle will be the back-to-back Yellow/Blue line shutdowns this July.
  by Ryand-Smith

Sand Box John wrote:"schmod"

No it's based on an understanding that theater will give the ignorant public a sense of safety in the same way as the theater preformed by the TSA at airports gives the public a sense of security.

You and I know the only way to eliminate track fires is to clean up the combustible materials that accumulate in close proximity to the third rail. I only hope that one of the tasks preformed during the up coming maintenance surge is doing just that.
Eh, electrical fires can also be caused by insulation breakdown causing capactive effects, the stored energy in the new found capacitor goes either to ground or as the insulation heats up it melts and catches fire. (also I hope to god they have a Vac Train for garbage, that seems inefficient manually cleaning it.
  by MCL1981

If WMATA has a vacuum train for trash on the right of way, it's quite apparent they do not use it. Ever.
  by Sand Box John

"MCL1981"
If WMATA has a vacuum train for trash on the right of way, it's quite apparent they do not use it. Ever.

There is no if because there is no vacuum train.
  by mtuandrew

JDC wrote:How will posters be affected by Safe Track? MY first big obstacle will be the back-to-back Yellow/Blue line shutdowns this July.
Same - that's going to put a big crimp in my commute. Glad I can take an express bus to Pentagon and a local from there into the District.
  by MCL1981

Fortunately I only ride from Union to Gallery. The only impact on my life, will be a reduction in the probability of dying in a fiery crash under Tiber Creek.
  by srepetsk

Does anybody have a list of the trackwork that WMATA hopes to get done during Surge 1 (East Falls Church to Ballston)? We know where all the work is being done, but I haven't seen anything written about what is getting done. We can make educated guesses, but it'd be nice if that were something available.
  by dcmike

I have an internal document but I cannot post it. Here's the highlights:

ATC will be inspecting, testing, and replacing intrusion detection boxes and cables. Cleaning, inspecting, and repairing all track junction boxes.

Track and Structures will be replacing about 2000 ties, 500 insulators, 1700 fasteners and 800 grout pads. Eliminating joints on running rail and removing expansion joints on third rail. Clearing vegetation and maintaining fences and signs. Washing tunnels and clearing drains.

Power will be inspecting AC breakers. Repairing ETS lights and edge light circuits.
  by JackRussell

I am a little curious as to why it was that this specific section of track was bumped to the top of the list..

I happened to drive by earlier today - there was quite a bit of heavy equipment on the inbound track, but from the road I couldn't see much about what they were really doing. But I noted a few overpasses that overlooked some of the activity, and I might try and get some photos tomorrow.