Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1612101  by Jeff Smith

It just seems like it would be easier transferring in Queens than connecting at GCT/GCM or PSNY. Re-electrification of the Bay Ridge would sure be a throwback! Not sure what you mean by "center of I-95". Rockaway Beach is high on the list of priorities, I think.
 #1613168  by ElectricTraction

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:23 amIt just seems like it would be easier transferring in Queens than connecting at GCT/GCM or PSNY. Re-electrification of the Bay Ridge would sure be a throwback! Not sure what you mean by "center of I-95". Rockaway Beach is high on the list of priorities, I think.
Not only would it be easier to connect in Queens at a transfer station, but that transfer station and several nearby stations would be in very densely populated areas with lots of bus lines, space for bike lanes, etc, to generate their own traffic.

By "center of I-95" I mean that the TriBoroRX should branch off of Penn Access and terminate at Co-Op City with two stations closer to Co-Op City itself in the middle of I-95, running from the Hutchinson River Parkway up to Co-Op Boulevard. It would be fairly easy to do with the inner two tracks where local trains are running branching out to the dead-end branch. If you look at the capacity of INT SHELL/CP216, the capacity of running 1/3 of TriBoroRX trains north of 30th Ave and having them cross at grade in the interlocking at Oak Point is perfectly feasible if/when the full fourth track through Oak Point Yard is taken/purchased from CSX.

Re:

#1613443  by west point

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:34 pm it would be up to Amtrak to create extra slots for trains into Penn station, if and when they are created they will go to LIRR and NJT, not to MNCR.
with ESA there will no slots lost by LIRR same amount of trains will go to Penn station.
I believe that is incorrect. Once east side access is up and running with no major problems one east river tunel bore will be closed by Amtrak for "Sandy" rehab. That will limit LIRR access to NYP & MNRR reducing LIRR number of train until all four bores are rehabed. Believe it is bore # 1 most northern fiest. Amtrak is not very pleased with the continuing delays stopping the necessary East river rehabs.
 #1613452  by mkm4

19 years ago, when it was written, it was correct.
 #1614800  by Jeff Smith

Delays, delays, due to Amtrak:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ven-months
A $2.9 billion project to extend Metro-North Railroad service into New York City’s Penn Station has been delayed by about seven months, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Monday.

The hold up is because the MTA relies on the owner of the existing tracks, Amtrak, to allow access to those lines during construction. While the MTA has a deal with Amtrak to open up the tracks and provide staffing, it has yet to fully deliver on that commitment, Jamie Torres-Springer, president of the MTA’s Construction & Development, said Monday during a monthly committee meeting.

A $2.9 billion project to extend Metro-North Railroad service into New York City’s Penn Station has been delayed by about seven months, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Monday.

The hold up is because the MTA relies on the owner of the existing tracks, Amtrak, to allow access to those lines during construction. While the MTA has a deal with Amtrak to open up the tracks and provide staffing, it has yet to fully deliver on that commitment, Jamie Torres-Springer, president of the MTA’s Construction & Development, said Monday during a monthly committee meeting.
 #1617026  by Jeff Smith

https://www.archpaper.com/2023/02/major ... nce-space/
For the past two years, urban revitalization strategy consultant and community-based developer Majora Carter has been operating Bronxlandia as a site for temporary events in a decommissioned Cass Gilbert–designed Hunts Point train station. Within the remains of the 1908 French Renaissance New York, Westchester, and Boston Rail (NYW&B) line stop, the MacArthur Award–winning Bronx native and author of Reclaim Your Community has hosted everything from under-the-radar music concerts and book events to pro wrestling matches and TED talks. Now Carter is launching the venue’s next phase as a restored and updated landmark designed around its latest function as a South Bronx-focused performance space.
 #1617054  by STrRedWolf

edflyerssn007 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:11 am Amtrak towed in an SLE set of M8's into Penn this evening. Image via Mariano Hernandez on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2085810 ... tid=Nif5oz
So they were checking for clearances?
 #1617184  by edflyerssn007

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:28 pm
edflyerssn007 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:11 am Amtrak towed in an SLE set of M8's into Penn this evening. Image via Mariano Hernandez on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2085810 ... tid=Nif5oz
So they were checking for clearances?
To be honest I'm not sure why. They were moved to Arch Street after this. Much of the gossip has been focused around thr schedule change so this went relatively unnoticed.
 #1617246  by Jeff Smith

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/03/penn-s ... e-project/

Quote Exception for Public Material:
Amtrak is coordinating with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to support the Penn Station Access Project on the Hell Gate Line. This project will transform the region by constructing four new Metro-North stations in the Bronx and allowing Metro-North trains to travel to New York Penn Station for the first time. When completed in 2027, Amtrak and Metro-North customers will benefit from improved reliability, faster travel times, and more travel options. In addition to providing track access for the work, Amtrak is investing $500 million into this project.

Amtrak will be providing track outages to support MTA crews and contractors working on the Hell Gate Line infrastructure upgrades and bringing the line into a state of good repair. As part of the project, Amtrak needs to take one track out of service at a time to conduct this work. Since the Hell Gate Line currently features only two tracks in most places, removing one from service will result in northbound and southbound trains having to take turns operating on a single track on this segment.

The first phase of this project will last approximately eight months, between March and October 2023.
 #1617477  by Jeff Smith

Even at 30% there is sufficient capacity for MNRR given that the tunnels must be rehabbed specifically to accommodate same. At a minimum the East Bronx needs at least reverse commute service to New Rochelle and Stamford until NYP is ready.