Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by AMTK84

According to my contact at Metra, there may be some concerns about doing that because of space limitations...at Elgin, at least.
  by F40CFan

mrconductor55 wrote:All metra hass to do now is lash them together and have an F40c double header. Fingers crossed
It was done before their premature retirement.
AMTK84 wrote:According to my contact at Metra, there may be some concerns about doing that because of space limitations...at Elgin, at least.
That may be due to longer trains being run now.

I saw 122 and 614 on track 13 this morning (4/14). Nice.
  by Met113

I was on the 8 AM Hiawatha and saw an F40C (It didn't strike me till the last second that it was a F40C so I didn't have time to get number, etc.) infront of a F40 which was connected to a normal consist. It looked like it was about ready for regular service, it had its light on and everything. I saw this in the Metra yard on the right side of the Milwaukee North District (right side heading away from Chicago). Sorry I don't know the yard name. I got a pic but its really bad.
  by F40CFan

Last night (04/21) I saw 614 leading 122 at Western Ave. This morning, the same two units were on the point of the train on track 13. Looks like pretty soon 614 will be out on its own also.
  by F40CFan

Last night (05/05), 614 soloed on 2237. It looked like 611 was on 2246. Both of them on the West Line, nice.
  by F40CFan

611 was on track 3 yesterday morning (05/12) as the protection locomotive.
  by F40CFan

611 was on 2227 last night (6/9).

614 was the protection engine on track 3 at CUS this morning (6/10).
  by Metraf40cfan

Hopefully with the two engines they purchased from the Tennessee Railway Museum and sent to Progressive Rail they won't put 611 and 614 into perminent retirement. Hopefully they will still keep them on the active roster and run them from time to time. I certianly hope this is not there last curtain call.
  by Tadman

Please pardon my ignorance - it appears TCRM only has covered wagons. What locomotives were bought?

If we have L&N-painted covered wagons working out of CUS, you're going to see my foamer side come out...
  by byte

All the speculation about Metra buying these two units seems to have been started by the observation that the two units in question disappeared from the museum's online roster, or something like that. I guess now they only have covered wagons, but a month ago they had a couple screamers too.
  by metraRI

Tadman wrote:Please pardon my ignorance - it appears TCRM only has covered wagons. What locomotives were bought?

If we have L&N-painted covered wagons working out of CUS, you're going to see my foamer side come out...
Metra purchased ex-Amtrak 258 and 375, which will become METX 215 and 216. This has already been finalized, and there is a possibility they could already at Progress Rail... however no confirmation on this.
  by Tadman

I caught one leading an outbound at 6:55p on my way home yesterday, viewed from the Canal crossing. It's not hard to convince me to go home on Canal rather than crawling the circle interchange.
  by F40CFan

614 was on 2227 Monday (06/22). You didn't happen to catch which one you saw? Its actually not too hard, even from a distance. 611 has the NWSMTD logo on the nose where as 614 has a smaller RTA logo instead.
  by Tadman

You know, by the time I realized it was "C" it was too late to see the nose. I was at Canal/Lake watching the train go through the crossing 2 blocks north. I tried to see a number but couldn't.