• Merrimack bridge to be fixed

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

Downeaster only stops at one of those stations, however.

by trainhq

Speaking of which, now that the new Lawrence station is open, you'd think they might move the Downeaster stop from Haverhill to Lawrence...

by Ron Newman

Why? Neither one is a tourist magnet, but I think Haverhill edges out Lawrence as a destination.

by Rockingham Racer

Well, I don't know. Lawrence is a transit hub, didn't you know? You can get MVRTA to Andover, Haverhill, Methuen, and Lowell. Trouble is, you have to taxi over to Essex St. to do that. So much for "seamless transportation!:wink:

by l008com

Isn't this bridge also the main freight line to Maine? As far as Downeaster goes, lawrence is a bigger city than haverhill... I'd just assume not go to either place :-P

by TPR37777

Well, Lawrence would be much more convenient for the heroin trafficking between there and southern Maine.

by trainhq

That's not one but two old Arlo Guthrie songs.
"Ridin' on the City of (Portland)..."

"Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr. (Conductor)maaan, maaaaan"!
  by Robert Paniagua

trainhq wrote:The T is finally going to fix the Merrimack bridge in Haverhill. Does anybody know how much faster the
trains will run now?

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df0 ... shtml#MBTA
I also saw that on the MBTA's website. I hope they make that bridge for a faster speed. As for Amtrak's DE trains, they should still serve HHL, since it's also the MBCR Terminus.