• Meridian to NYC?

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

by steamal

What railroads would someone traveling from Meridian, Mississippi, to New York City in 1952 or 1953 have taken? And about where would their train have changed locomotives?
  by Noel Weaver

steamal wrote:What railroads would someone traveling from Meridian, Mississippi, to New York City in 1952 or 1953 have taken? And about where would their train have changed locomotives?
Southern Railway System to Washington, Pennsylvania Railroad to New
York. Engine change from diesel to electric at Washington.
Noel Weaver

by CarterB

The GM&O was still running the Gulf Coast Rebel in 1952-53. So if they for some reason didn't like the Southern, they could have taken the GM&O to St. Louis, and on from there via many lines, PRR, NYC, B&O among them.
  by steamal

Well, the Dubuisson family (my mother's family) had sort of a family connection to GM&O. One of my uncles had worked on the GM&O before World War II ---after dieselisation, he moved on to the oil industry--- and another uncle went to work for GM&O after he got home from the Korean War, retiring from ICG in the early 1980s.

by CarterB

Could well have gone by GM&O to St. L then, and chosen whichever convenient train on to NYC on the Pennsy or NYC most likely, though could have chosen the B&O/C&O via Washington DC. Could even have stayed with the GM&O from St. L. to Chicago, and then on from there on NYC, Pennsy. or B&O. Remember, the B&O owned the Alton for quite a while, so if he had connections, may have gotten better deals.
  by steamal

Well, I've asked my mother about her trip to New York City. She remembers changing trains in Washington, but doesn't seem to remember anything about St. Louis. This suggests to me that she took the Southern as far as Washington, then probably the Pennsylvania into New York City (if the NYC didn't go through Washington).

by Noel Weaver

Could have taken the Baltimore and Ohio from Washington to New York
(Jersey City), it lasted in this area with passenger service until April, 1958.
Noel Weaver