• Medina NYC E-Unit questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railroaded

Saw the A&A #18 under full steam and pulling excursions today (6-1), AWESOME.

Anyone know what the status is on the NYC Lightening Stripe E-8's at Medina? Are they ever out on display for the public this summer? Where are they at with regards to repairs?

-Thanks in advance

-B in B

by SimTrains

Well, if you pick up the latest railpace there is a small blurb about how the E8's will be ready for an excursion next month.
As of right this moment they have been pulled out of there storage space and are sitting next to Park Ave. in Lockport, awaiting to be taken to Medina.

by Otto Vondrak

The Railpace article says July 21. I'm sure the museum can use all the help they can get to meet this goal.
  by Don

Where are they now? TIA
Don
  by med-train

The E-8s are out in the open on a siding in Lockport on Park Ave. next to the Falls Road facility.
They are scheduled, if they hold air, to be moved to Medina on Tue. 6/10/08. The air test will be done on Monday morning. They will be on display next to the Museum after that.
  by jnugent56

I just saw the E-8s here in Medina! There was also a GVT Alco on the main with some of the NYC passenger cars when I drove by.
  by SimTrains

E8's???? Alco's???? Passenger Cars???? Are you sure you didn't dream this up, or perhaps get caught in some type of temporal time twisting rift????

Haha...The E8's were indeed moved to Medina today, and are now sitting in the falls Rd's material yard, across the tracks from the Medina Railroad Museum. Let me get it out of the way real quick and say that this is railroad property, and by stepping on it you are trespassing. Anyway...
We moved them from Lockport today while bringing coaches to Medina for an excursion. After speaking with the mechanical guy they have fixing them, I fell pretty confident that they'll be up and running soon! Mr. Nick Wilson should have some pics from today which I'm sure he would be glad to share....
  by Conrail4evr

As promised, here's a few shots from the move today. Special thanks to Marty Phelps and the Medina Railroad Museum for bringing these units back to their home territory!

Backing up in Lockport Yard to tie on to the passenger cars:
http://eslw.org/nick/gallery/v/nyc/IMG17578.jpg.html

Pulling across the famed "upside-down" bridge in downtown Lockport:
http://eslw.org/nick/gallery/v/nyc/IMG17607.jpg.html

Basking in the beautiful morning sunlight as they are slowly shoved into their new home:
http://eslw.org/nick/gallery/v/nyc/IMG17678.jpg.html

Appropriately enough, in the last shot, all 5 of the cars are New York Central...IIRC, it's been quite a while since such a sight has occured!
  by Luther Brefo

To extend it one further, Nick,

Everything in that frame was once owned by the New York Central, including 2035.

:)
  by Railroaded

So, say I want to see these engines, running or not, where do I go as of 6-12-08?

-B in B
  by Conrail4evr

Western New York. You can see the E8As as well as the Medina Railroad Museum (well worth the visit IMO) at Medina, NY. You can shoot the units from the museum lot across the Falls Road Railroad main. The Falls Road Railroad runs Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with RS32 #2035 and RS11 #1802.
  by Railroaded

Can they be seen from public property without tresspassing anywhere? How's the shot for light? Can you get a good picture where they stand now or not? (that's a haul for me to go up there for nothing but a big bill from the gas station.)

-B in B
  by Conrail4evr

You can get a clear shot from across the main on museum property (a few steps off the road). I doubt the owners would mind you shooting them from their property, so long as you're not trashing it or anything. On the South side of the tracks, you ARE trespassing, and can't get a good shot anyhow - every angle is blocked off by rails, ties, etc. I'd say head there in the evening (7 PMish) when the light has swung across the tracks for an optimum shot, though any time from mid afternoon on will yield nose light.