• 'Medical emergency' at JFK/UMass, Sunday afternoon 6/4

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

Yesterday afternoon around 3:15, my Braintree-bound train stopped for about 5-10 minutes between Andrew and JFK stations, then diverted onto the Ashmont-bound track. The reason given was a 'medical emergency'.

When we got to JFK, we all saw what the 'medical emergency' really was -- a man had fallen (or jumped, or been pushed?) from the other platform onto the Braintree-bound track. Fortunately he landed well short of the third rail, so he probably wasn't seriously injured.
  by sabourinj

Ron Newman wrote:Yesterday afternoon around 3:15, my Braintree-bound train stopped for about 5-10 minutes between Andrew and JFK stations, then diverted onto the Ashmont-bound track. The reason given was a 'medical emergency'.

When we got to JFK, we all saw what the 'medical emergency' really was -- a man had fallen (or jumped, or been pushed?) from the other platform onto the Braintree-bound track. Fortunately he landed well short of the third rail, so he probably wasn't seriously injured.
By the quotes are you saying this isn't a medical emergency? Certainly EMT's would respond and the T isn't going to announce that you're waiting because someone almost got fried by the third rail...

JS

by Ron Newman

I was just quoting what was announced on the train's intercom. Obviously you have to de-energize the third rail when someone has fallen onto the tracks, whether or not the faller actually contacted the third rail.

Yes, a large number of fire engines, EMTs, and the like were there, completely blocking eastbound Columbia Road. This made a real mess considering that Dot Ave was closed for the Dorchester Day parade.

by WonderlandMan

That must be a horrifying experience.. Falling onto the track bed, where sudden death could either come from a train, or an energized rail not more than 3 feet away..

He's lucky though

by sabourinj

WonderlandMan wrote:That must be a horrifying experience.. Falling onto the track bed, where sudden death could either come from a train, or an energized rail not more than 3 feet away..

He's lucky though
Very true. There are some subway systems overseas that have panels that close along the edge of the platform so you can't fall off it when there is no train there. I wonder how far we are away from something like that being mandated? Or at least the third rail cover like WMATA and NYC has.

JS

by octr202

sabourinj wrote:
WonderlandMan wrote:That must be a horrifying experience.. Falling onto the track bed, where sudden death could either come from a train, or an energized rail not more than 3 feet away..

He's lucky though
Very true. There are some subway systems overseas that have panels that close along the edge of the platform so you can't fall off it when there is no train there. I wonder how far we are away from something like that being mandated? Or at least the third rail cover like WMATA and NYC has.

JS
I believe that most, if not all, lines that use platform edge doors also use automatic train control, which ensures that the train stops in precisely the same spot each time.
  by GP40MC 1116

sabourinj wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:Yesterday afternoon around 3:15, my Braintree-bound train stopped for about 5-10 minutes between Andrew and JFK stations, then diverted onto the Ashmont-bound track. The reason given was a 'medical emergency'.

By the quotes are you saying this isn't a medical emergency? Certainly EMT's would respond and the T isn't going to announce that you're waiting because someone almost got fried by the third rail...

JS

Boston Fire would have been their, along with Boston PD (possibly or most likley Transit PD) and Boston EMS's nearest rig. If it came into Boston Fire Alarm as "person struck by train" then you could have had Rescue 2, the Area District Chief, and a Engine/Ladder Co. Most medical calls only get a single Engine or Ladder company so it depends how it was called in..

PS im a big fire buff as well, going to school for Fire Science.. lol! :-D

by Ron Newman

I did not take note of what equipment responded, only that there was a lot of it. I don't think this person was hit by a train.

by GP40MC 1116

Ron Newman wrote:I did not take note of what equipment responded, only that there was a lot of it. I don't think this person was hit by a train.
I got you, most people don't im just saying by the report that was given to Boston Fire Alarm is how they send the number of apparatus to the run. for a simple medical either 1 engine or one ladder. For a person hit by train.. A whole lot of stuff, over 5-6 trucks probably. So it all depends how it was called in :-D

by number1tfan

All of this sounds very serious. I hope that person is okay.