• MC Steam Locomotive Bell

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dunrobin

I have a locomotive bell from a Michigan Central RR steam locomotive and was wondering if anyone else had one. It was manufactured between 1910 and 1926. All I have is a casting number on the bell, yoke and cradle. No road number. As these cradles where unique to the MCRR I am hoping to find out which locomotive is came from. I know where the bell was last. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  by lbagg91833

I have a bell from a loco, and suggest you look inside the bell itself for the loco number. Several Class 1 RRs marked the loco # on the bell, and if changed to another loco, then re-stamped the new assignment. One I have is stamped only once. Original RR was NYC. I know nothing re the practice on the MCRR...not necessarily the same as NYC as I recall the CCC&STL stamped the loco # on them also. LAB
  by dunrobin

Thank you. I have checked for stamped numbers. I have found some in the base. The bell only has casting number inside the top. Does anyone know what the casting numbers mean??

by Ramcat

In all likelyhood the number(s) on the bell and the support features are pattern numbers, either for the railroad or the manufacturer.

If you will post the numbers and their locations it may be possible for someone to provide further identification.
  by dunrobin

Here are some casting numbers. Hopefully there is still someone alive that knows what they mean. Or hopefully ALCO kept records or them.

Bell 14986
Yoke L390 MC
Base (upside down) 12S19
Other side of Base (upside down) stamped in ALCO and what looks like 7819, but it is corroded and could also be what is left of 12S19 or I have some other people say it could be 2819. Why would a number be cast in a base and then stamped in it??
The ringer arm has 1282 or 1388 or some such number in it followed by MC. The numbers where not cast clearly. But the MC is clear.
If the bell belonged to 7819 it was a 2-8-0 and I would also love to have a picture of the locomotive. If the bell belongs to 2819, it was a mowhawk and I have a picture of that.
If anyone knows what the ALCO casting numbers mean please contact me. I am trying to do an historically correct restoration and it would be wonderful to be able to place a face on the bell, so to speak. Thanks.
  by dunrobin

Hi. Has anyone come up with anything new about my bell? The other numbers 2819 and 7819 were wrong the number was 12S19. I have a few historical societies looking into it, but they have not been able to find an erecting card with the type of base my bell has the base is much larger than the diameter of the bell. I would just like to find out which class of locomotive it came from. I will most likely never find which locomotive it came from. Thanks.