• MBTA set w/ 2 engine

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hey everyone, i saw a MBTA set this morning with a engine at both ends, 1125 was on the rear of the train and a F40PH-2C, no number, was at the front of the train, there were trees in my way, so i couldn't see if there was a control car behind the 1125, here is teh set

10**-s-s-d-d-d-d-d-1125

by octr202

Didn't see that one, but did see a trainset with double-headed GP40's yesterday at North Station. Definately looked unusual by MBTA standards.

by boatsmate

depends on what standards, back in the day when the T was running "F" units they normally double headed thuase units....

Which line did you see the train on ????

by GP40MC 1116

boatsmate wrote:depends on what standards, back in the day when the T was running "F" units they normally double headed thuase units....

It had to be somewhere on the South Side, no Double Decker Cars run on the Northside

by sery2831

There was a train with two 1100s on the head end on the north side monday and tuesday. I havent seen that set today, but it could still be out.

by octr202

sery2831 wrote:There was a train with two 1100s on the head end on the north side monday and tuesday. I havent seen that set today, but it could still be out.
It was 1131 and 1121 -- they were still together yesterday, and were being moved into North Station from the yard just before 5:00 pm. Looked like a five car set, but I didn't count as I didn't expect to see them both on the back end.

by b&m 1566

boatsmate wrote:depends on what standards, back in the day when the T was running "F" units they normally double headed thuase units....

Correct me if I'm wrong but the T still does runs "F" units today. Though I would assume you meant the F10's and what not, the T still has F40's in use.
  by GP40MC1118

Actually, the F40's have run doubleheaded more than the F10's ever did.

Towards the tale end of the F10's reign, there were some two unit trains.
The last one was an Ipswich train with the units back to back instead of
elephant-style. Even beat up as they were, it was a nice sight.

Dave

by sery2831

There is still a set with two 1100s on the north side, spotted it today driving by north station. Maybe I can it for one of my trains tomorrow :-)
  by GP40MC1118

The double-header went out to Newburyport tonight on 181.

d

by GP40MC 1116

Any reason for this or? Now were saying double-header meaning two units on the head end correct? I was reading the posts it seems some one was describing a 1100 unit on the head end and on the rear

by sery2831

This post was talking about two different trains, there was one on the south side with a loco on each end. That usually happens when a contral car has issues with cabs. Now we are talking about about a train with two 1100s on the head end on the north side.

by CSX Conductor

sery2831 wrote:Now we are talking about about a train with two 1100s on the head end on the north side.
Which is often done when one unit has no H.E.P. :wink:
  by GP40MC1118

And I thought we were allowing for attrition!

D
  by Diverging Route

On track 7 this evening at North Station, at 5:00pm, a five car set with 1131 in the lead, then 1121. There were maintence folks working on both engines. Could it be that one is providing traction power, and the other HEP?