• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MEC407

Maybe, maybe not. Freight engines spend plenty of time just sitting in yards for hours and hours, waiting for the next crew, next train, etc.
  by Arlington

MEC407 wrote:Maybe, maybe not. Freight engines spend plenty of time just sitting in yards for hours and hours, waiting for the next crew, next train, etc.
Sure, but Isn't that more likely to be done with the engine idling (vs what I'm assuming is that staying warm on shore power is part of the HSP-46's problem)
  by MBTA3247

Arlington wrote:
MEC407 wrote:Maybe, maybe not. Freight engines spend plenty of time just sitting in yards for hours and hours, waiting for the next crew, next train, etc.
Sure, but Isn't that more likely to be done with the engine idling (vs what I'm assuming is that staying warm on shore power is part of the HSP-46's problem)
Not necessarily, a lot of locomotives have hot start systems now that will turn off the prime mover instead of letting it idle to save fuel, then turn it on again when the locomotive is needed or the coolant temperature drops too low.

And don't the locomotives have electric heaters to keep the appropriate systems above freezing when on ground power?
  by Quiet Screamer

BRail wrote:The 2006 was frozen solid, a block of ice two weeks ago in Kingston. It was quietly towed, shipped to the P&W for damage assessment and repairs. There is a design flaw with the MPIs "puking" their water at low temps. They tried to correct the problem by making the dump valve less sensitive. Now they are getting frozen engine blocks.
That would have been the 2001 not the 2006.
  by BandA

maybe the software froze up?

I assume ALL repairs under warranty are shared with the T & Keolis so that they know what they are getting into, otherwise the vendor could keep changing whatever widget until the warranty expired then say "see ya' "
  by Gerry6309

Quiet Screamer wrote:
BRail wrote:The 2006 was frozen solid, a block of ice two weeks ago in Kingston. It was quietly towed, shipped to the P&W for damage assessment and repairs. There is a design flaw with the MPIs "puking" their water at low temps. They tried to correct the problem by making the dump valve less sensitive. Now they are getting frozen engine blocks.
That would have been the 2001 not the 2006.
Sounds like we have a violation of the first law of thermodynamics here, unless the cooling system overcompensates for the ambient temperature. Sounds like a job for an old fashioned radiator thermostat.

For it is written: "To err is human, to really foul things up - use a computer."
  by chrisf

jmar896 wrote:
MetroBostonRailways wrote:#2017 is now in service south side
Do you know what line its running on?
Trains on MBTA are not assigned to a single line on a single day. They'll go in and out on different routes.
  by Gerry6309

chrisf wrote:
jmar896 wrote:
Trains on MBTA are not assigned to a single line on a single day. They'll go in and out on different routes.
The exception is that Old Colony Trains stay on those routes due to door operation differences but rotate within those routes. OC trains use train-lined doors - others use manual doors.

Rotation of consists assists in maintaining maintenance intervals.
  by jmar896

chrisf wrote:
jmar896 wrote:
Sorry, I should of phrased that better. I know trains are not assigned to a specific line, I was trying to ask if anyone's seen it operating and on what line when they saw it.

I was asking that because if anyone saw it on the Worcester line yesterday would go to union station and the Worcester layover yard to see if it was there to take some pictures of it
  by eustis22

I thought the new locos were bearing the 2XXX series numbers? I saw 011 sitting in the dock at north station this AM.
  by chrisf

eustis22 wrote:I thought the new locos were bearing the 2XXX series numbers? I saw 011 sitting in the dock at north station this AM.
The HSP46s are in the 2000s. 010 and 011 are MP36PHs, and a few years old.