• MBTA Internet (Wifi) on Commuter Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by railsforroads

concordgirl wrote: ...In all seriousness, though... Has anyone seen any wifi cars on the NS??
Believe it or not, I have seen at least one Wi-Fi enabled car on every single line, both north and south. Doesn’t mean they’re still there ;-)

by sery2831

I dont believe it since I work on the North Side and I use my laptop every day on the trains. I have not seen ONE train on the North Side with wifi. And I don't believe you ride EVERY line both sides.

by concordgirl

Yeah okay. That's kinda what my impression was too, John.

The Fitchburg wifi thingy from the T has "December 2007" written on it. Does that mean they were testing that line back in December? Or was the Framingham test really the first one?

by sery2831

I have a confirmed sighting of a wifi car on the North Side. I suspect it has been running up here as long as the first test one on the South Side. The car is the 530. The service is provided by Sprint.

by concordgirl

Whoa, cool :) Tell them to put it into a Fitchburg consist!!! ;-)
  by jgeary27

2??

This is changing my boarding strategy...

by sery2831

I found one on the 513 car last night. And that was on my way to Fitchburg!

by concordgirl

Alright, now we're getting somewhere!!! :-)

John where were you when it actually worked? Do you remember? The Fitchburg signal map looks very up and down :P

by sery2831

I didn't use it, I noticed it showed up to connect to my internet. I am sure it has the same dead spots as my Verizon service.

by concordgirl

Gotcha. Yeah that is why I'm not expecting too much ;) Still pretty cool though!

by CSX Conductor

sery2831 wrote:I didn't use it, I noticed it showed up to connect to my internet. I am sure it has the same dead spots as my Verizon service.
Uh-oh, rules violator. LOL :P

by acela 2036

K car 925

by CJ

concordgirl wrote: ...In all seriousness, though... Has anyone seen any wifi cars on the NS??
Actually "maybe". I was out near BET friday night waiting for someone, and I was scanning open networks with my PDA, and one did show up named "CommuterRail(something)" when a set went by. I didn't catch the number(s), but its worth a mention!

by concordgirl

Cool :) Yeah John mentioned the 530 and the 513 so far.... I'll maybe be checking the entire length of my evening consist tomorrow before I pick a seat ;-)

by Diverging Route

This is posted live from the 806 inbound on the Providence Line, in coach 916. Two coaches away, the 927 was also outfitted. The signal was strong from Mansfield to Canton, but then got poor near Route 128. Maybe someone was trying to download a movie :)

It's tough to type two-handed sitting on the aisle of a 3-seater when three are in the seat!

The 806 is usually a sold set of seven bilevels, but today was six and one flat - so many more standees than usual.