• MBTA Hats

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mb41

I am trying to find out the last year the MBTA issues the airline style operator hat with the metal T badge on it.

There is a driver on the 36 that has one on the dash, it looks like badge # 4007. Where would this number place his start time?
  by willfh

about 12 years ago I believe they stopped the police caps. at 4007 he would have about 24 years on the job

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, those are REAL old and historical hats, since they've been retired, I rarely see them being worn, many of those employees from then have probably retired or have moved on.

by mb41

I was just curious. My friend answered my question over the weekend, thanks. He started 1971 and has badge 337.

by RailBus63

Interesting question. I recall that the MBTA was still issuing operators badges in the mid-1980's. By then, though, it always seemed that many operators didn't bother wearing the hat, and once the T went to the baseball caps, the old hats and badges became much more rare.

I remember taking photos of MBTA buses at Quincy Center station one morning in the early 1990's. Amidst the majority of operators in their baseball caps and uniform shirts without ties, I spotted a veteran operator in full uniform - jacket on, the tie perfectly centered on his shirt, and the old-style hat and badge. He was the picture of transit professionalism, and most of his fellow operators looked sloppy in comparison.

JD

by mb41

I was told also that the T no longer issues baseball caps anymore.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh, so what do they issue instead? ID cards with their callsign?

by mb41

It is to bad they don't give out hats or badges anymore, there is no way to identify a bad or rude operator now!!! Only way it to take down the bus/trolley # or the route and time. The badge # should be stated some where for passengers. To many of the operators are losers, overpaid and don't give a crap about anything. They make good money some operators make over 25 bucks an hour and they can't be bothered checking transfers.

by RailBus63

How do they display their badge number?

On RIPTA in Providence, bus drivers wear a patch on their uniform shirt with their badge number on it.

JD

by mb41

They don't display their numbers anymore. It is law that if a passenger asks an operator for their # they have to give them the #, but many T operators bark at you and don't, they are breaking the law.

by StevieC48

Dougie, it's NOT the law but a MBTA rule. Get your facts straight before posting.

by mb41

same thing, they are breaking MBTA policy... still a punishable thing.

by Derek Bernier

I know, they SHOULD make them wear hats LIKE IT or NOT

they are just like amTRASH conductors who have to sport a badge number when on duty...

sheez, this mbta crews ought to be tracked down if abusive...

by CSX Conductor

Derek Bernier wrote:I know, they SHOULD make them wear hats LIKE IT or NOT

they are just like amTRASH conductors who have to sport a badge number when on duty...

sheez, this mbta crews ought to be tracked down if abusive...
When Amtrak operated the Commuter Rail they had the trainman's last name and a badge number, but now the MBCR has first name only. Amtrak name badges are the same way, although some older crew members have first and last name.

by Robert Paniagua

I've seen the MBCR crews wear name tags including train engineers, and they even have a ackground picture of them,m and an anti-counterfeiting featured coating on the cards so that they are difficult to duplicate.