• MBTA Commuter Rail Colors

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

Brown is a common color that the T hasn't used. Chicago has a Brown Line.

A White Line would be hard to see on a map.

The LA-Pasadena train is the Gold Line. I don't know why; Rose Line would have made much more sense.

by CJ

I would think that a bright but dark pink would not look bad, as other colors like brown (sorry, just reminds me of what falls in the toilet), and grey would get confused with silver (*cough*noneedsilverline*cough*), and white would be hard to see, unless you do a striped white/pink or something, just so it looks DEFINED , dunno, cant really use other colors or it gets confusing! (or 'orange line north, and orange line south' heh)
  by CSX Conductor

b&m 1566 wrote:CSX Conductor I did read the caption but what does that prove. There were other MBTA trains painted like that too, like that of the F10's as TomNelligan already mentioned. All I wanted to know was if other F40's were painted like that too.
I'm sorry if you didn't read it the way it was intended. I read it as that it was one of a kind meaning the only F40. Maybe I read it this way because I re-call seeing some of the F10's with the Maroon paint.

by paulrail

I've heard the color "fuscia" (few-shah) applied to the MBTA's color "purple" in some instances.

The purple color [used by the MBTA] as shown on the Industry's "Pantone Color Chart" is known as "nuclear safety purple"!

A fellow SSMRC member researched the color chosen by the T and found that the "N.S.P." was an exact match to the MBTA's equipment. Since he does art work for Microscale (decals) he got them to produce a "trim film" decal called "MBTA purple" for those who wish to model the T's commuter rail equipment with the exact (correct!) color.

Walther's HO scale model diesel engine, F-40, and the commuter rail coaches and cab cars are not the correct color;....much too "reddish/pinkish" color.

Bachman's version of the MBTA's F-40; (with strobes,..no less!) was also wrong. It was too dark a purple and even the "circle Ts" were the wrong color,...yellow!, rather than black and white!

For those who model the "T," the Microscale trimfilm set is stock # TF-42 and lists for $1.75 on their website. Some local hobby store also carry it.

Paul