• MBTA Comet II and Possibly Comet III Cars?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by One of One-Sixty

I am putting together a list of all the RRs that have used or currently used the Pullman Comet II and Comet III cars.

Does anybody know what number squence the MBTA Comet cars uses? Also what kinda paint schemes ahve they been in.

Also are there any cab control cars?

by AEM7AC920

Well info on the MBTA Horizon cars can be found here at NET Trainsit. The page has builder info and car numbers. Before the horizons came around the MBTA had some Budd RDC's so the horizons don't have the Comet I, II, III etc like NJT. If you do a search on google, you can easily see what the paint looks like because they mostly have always been in the same paint. The MBTA runs push pull service so they do have cab cars...

http://members.aol.com/rtspcc/roster/MBTAroster.html

by 7 Train

The Pullman BTC-1s (1978-79) are most similar to the NJT Comet I (1970). The 1989-90 Bombardier CTC/BTC are cousins of NJT/SEPTA's Comet II, Amtrak's Horizon and Metro-North's Shoreliner I.

by astrosa

Be careful with the comparison between the original 300-series Pullman BTC-1 and the Comet I, as NJT's version was for low-level platforms only, so the vestibule doors and cab front windows were lowered. I'd say the MBTA's cars were more of a cross between Comet I and II, since they did have the window center posts that were a spotting feature of the Comet I while being more like the Comet II in their actual configuration. Of course they're totally different now, having been rebuilt by Amerail to new specs as the BTC-1C class.

There were originally CTC-1 cab cars in the 1300 series, but the surviving ones were rebuilt to BTC-1C along with the BTC-1 coaches. Currently the only cab cars of this car type are the CTC-1B class in the 1600 series, and some of these have already been downgraded to coaches since they're no longer needed as cabs.

Finally, don't make the mistake of including the 500- or 1500-series cars in your list. These are BTC/CTC-3 cars built by Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm (MBB) and although they're dimensionally similar to the BTC/CTC-1 class, they are really a very different breed in many ways.

As noted above, check the NETransit site for more detailed information.