Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by mxdata

Each engine drives the inboard axle of the adjacent truck through a torque converter, transmission, drive shaft and axle mounted gear box.

by railfan101

I know that the traction motors on these RDC's would not be used. This was the same scenario when the MBTA used RDC's in the 80's. What would be the problem if you paired these cars with an F40 or a geep. You probably would not even require the use of HEP if the RDC's supply their own power.
You could run them on the north side to suplement the lack of cars. They would be closer to BET and the north side does not seem to have as many restrictions.

by sery2831

RDCs do not have traction motors!

These cars for sale are former RDCs and are 480v HEP coaches just like all the coaches the MBTA currently operates. They have no engines on them what so ever.

by railfan101

sery2831 wrote:RDCs do not have traction motors!

These cars for sale are former RDCs and are 480v HEP coaches just like all the coaches the MBTA currently operates. They have no engines on them what so ever.
Thanks for the clarification John. I was under the impression that these cars still had the ability to provide their own power for lights and HVAC.

All you would have to do is add a screamer, geep or F402c and you could have several additioanl sets to spare. Now all that would be needed are a few more locomotives.

by 3rdrail

The Budds formerly had two Detroit Diesel engines. These engines can still be found all over the place as they were designed as bus engines. This would not be a case similiar to the "Flying Yankee" looking for a Winton.
  by jbvb

When Boise rebuilt them, they got a lot noisier inside than they had been as RDCs. It was a kind of grinding rumble, like they took the rubberized sound dampening pads out of the trucks and replaced them with "low maintenance" chunks of steel. Not as bad as the GO Transit cars, and I've ridden a lot of MBTA consists with worse interiors (ex-NH 8600 coaches just short of the scrap yard, for instance). Still, better than standing or being left on the platform...