• Maybrook Yard Elevations

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by SDCW4300

Being that Maybrook was built as a hump yard, is it documented anywhere what the track elevations were within the yard itself?

I have the valuation maps for the yard, but they don't show any elevation data. I have a track profile map that shows quite a bit of elevation change in the almost three mile length of the yard, but would that be along the 'Main Line' running through the yard, if there really was one?

Is there anyone on this list that worked the yard that might remember the 'ups and downs' of tracks. I've been trying to piece elevation data from looking at all the pictures, but that's not working all that well.

I talked with one person who's grandfather worked at the yard, and he recollects the eastbound arrival yard being almost level, but having a slight down grade slope toward the hump. He remember somethng of a crew dropping a caboose on another track and then pulling the train down toward the hump, and the caboose would slowly drift down the track toward the hump. That way the wouldn't have to go the way back to the other end to get it. Have no idea if that is acurate, but it's a cool story.

If any of you have any stories or recollections about the yard, I'd love to here them.

John T