• Markings on Electric Locomotives.

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

I have come across some photos in the past of the New Haven electrics with this curious red marking and white lettering on the side of the locomotive. I have included a photo of an EP-2 with the marking next to a louver. This was not typical and I have not been able discern what it is. Does anyone know what it represented?
  by Noel Weaver

This was an encouragement to give to fight Cancer and it was quite common on New Haven electrics and diesels as well as some cars too.
Noel Weaver
  by edbear

It was on some of the RDCs.
  by chnhrr

Wow, thanks guys for your insight. Was this promotion of a good cause particular to the New Haven or did other railroads (NYC, PRR, B&O, SP, IC, UP etc.) participate as well? When did this practice start? I now see the red insignia is the American Cancer Society’s logo.
  by Noel Weaver

I think this began in the early 1950's. I don't think it was common in the industry, maybe just the New Haven Railroad.
Noel Weaver
  by chnhrr

Here is a photo with the letter ‘C’ painted on an EP-3. I’m assuming this stood for condemned and not cancer. I’m sure a nefarious metal scrap dealer was salivating at this point.
  by TomNelligan

You're right; the C stood for "condemned". Sometimes the NH would paint a white line through the numbers as well.