• Management stealing jobs

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by UPRR engineer

braves2905 wrote:What I am asking the forum is if a TM can qualify on a line of road for the purposes of obtaining his class I license without violating a national agreement.
A Road Formen of Engines already has a licence to run. I dont believe a trainmaster off the street would ever get put threw the program to get certified, it costs alot of money to make a hog. Passenger roads are goofy and might be different like you said.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote: Passenger roads are goofy and might be different like you said.
Goofy, huh? Care to expand on that one?? Are you wearing your UP biggest is bestest hat again??

You should see some of my goofy paychecks.

by UPRR engineer

braves2905 wrote: I've heard about managers going to engineer school, especially at Amtrak....
In this day and age that doesnt sound goofy to you??

Union Pacifc is the BEST. :-D

Back before engineers had to be certified (I guess) trainmasters that were never hogheads could or had too?? learn to run trains. When i first hired out for the UP my Senior MTO who came out of Omaha (wanst in trainservice) he said before he came out here he was trainmaster in California and ran more then one train out there.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:
braves2905 wrote: I've heard about managers going to engineer school, especially at Amtrak....
In this day and age that doesnt sound goofy to you??

Union Pacifc is the BEST. :-D
Just keeping you honest, dude. :-D

What's goofy is a boss on NS stealing work from the extra man. Is this guy still holding a spot on the roster?!

by roadster

A Roadforeman has to possess a Engineer Cert.. A trainmaster is not required, however may have taken the promotion from the engineer craft and as long as they maintain their cert. and continue to pay union dues they will maintain their seniority. As far as seat time, they can take the run but with the regular crew in the cab. Not as a replacement. Taking a run inplace of the next available craft position IS a violation of national agreemnets and should be time slipped, and pursued. Yes, I want to see management out in the fields riding trains, yes. Not hot special moves, but regular frieghts, and without headsup to operations people so the REAL experience is had.