Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#400688  by abaduck

For the first time in... quite a while I think, CSX switched Marval last night, and the Subaru/Jeep (Digital/Film) (Laurel/Hardy) team swung into action.

Otto will have to wait for his pics to come back from the printers, but the digital stuff is cooked and ready:

Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n 320ASA 10secs f6.7 - run through Noiseware Pro, then delicately Photoshopped.

If you want high-res versions of the above, they are:
http://www.corestore.org/marval180507-1.jpg and
http://www.corestore.org/marval180507-4.jpg

Enjoy

Mike
 #467546  by bigrailfan

I was wondering how they turn the trains around to service the Mamaroneck siding since the train come out of Croton West. Also last week while riding the train home I saw a frieght car sitting under the Rockland Ave bridge.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: housekeeping

#467589  by fishtale

not sure what the correct railroad terminology would be for this, but there is a curving switch that connects the hudson line to the harlem/new haven at mott haven in the bronx. you can see it on the track map. i'm assuming that's how they move

#467598  by Jeff Smith

Here's an earlier thread on it:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Others more expert than I can answer the turning question; however, there is a wye track at Mott Haven in the Bronx where the Harlem and Hudson meet.

#467771  by MNRR_RTC

fishtale wrote:not sure what the correct railroad terminology would be for this, but there is a curving switch that connects the hudson line to the harlem/new haven at mott haven in the bronx. you can see it on the track map. i'm assuming that's how they move
It is called the Wye. It is how you can have a train go from the Hudson to the Harlem without changing ends.

#468013  by Jeff Smith

Any suggestions on the media player required? I can't get any of the mpeg files to play in Windows or QuickTime.

#468068  by L'mont

I feel like I saw the cars being switched out a lot in the late spring and early summer, but I haven't see any action around there in a while and the rails look like <<crap>> (edited by moderator), some have been covered in mud for weeks.

#468151  by Jeff Smith

When was the flooding? That area always floods out - there's a reason it's called the "flats".

#468168  by abaduck

Sarge wrote:Any suggestions on the media player required? I can't get any of the mpeg files to play in Windows or QuickTime.

They play very nicely in Realplayer, I think. VLC is also an excellent free player which will play just about anything - get it from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Mike

#468171  by abaduck

L'mont wrote:I feel like I saw the cars being switched out a lot in the late spring and early summer, but I haven't see any action around there in a while and the rails look like sh!t, some have been covered in mud for weeks.
They've switched there a couple of times in the last month. The rails look like that due to trucks, cars etc. dragging mud and dirt over them; you can tell if they've switched recently by the groove the flanges make in the dirt!

Question: Sometimes, the local switches and takes off with (presumably empty) cars. Other times, they switch and leave cars in the siding, just beyond the switch which takes the siding onto the mainline - past the gates, under the Rockland Ave. overbridge. Why would they do that? Why remove the freight cars from the Marval property but not haul them away immediately? They sometimes sit there for a couple of days (I think they are there now) before they (presumably) return and haul them away.

Mike

#468184  by District D RTC

B-750 went to Marval on Tuesday 11/13/2007 - they ran from Croton to Marval w/2 Lite Engines - 2720 + 2793. They pulled two empties - the move was actually to move three cars, one that was 1/2 full needed to be moved to pull the two empties that were released. B-750 should be back out to Marval some time between Thurs (Tonight) and next Wed. before the Holiday.

--JSW

#470200  by SubaruWRX

nice photos