Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

that is how railroad was altered after Harlem river was moved.
resetting the milepost would require moving all mile markers from MP10 to Chicago ;-)
  by Tommy Meehan

I think Dutch is joking but just for the record New York Central did recompute the mileage after the Marble Hill realignment in 1906. In a 1901 ETT the mileage to Spuyten Duyvil station is shown as 11.15 (from Grand Central). After the realignment the mileage to Spuyten Duyvil was shown in the ETTs as 10.41.
  by Clean Cab

8th Notch wrote:
scoostraw wrote:So if the train is in push mode, the cab car has a deadman pedal? And if it is in pull mode there is an alerter?

It seems odd that different systems are used depending on which direction the train is moving.

What are the federal requirements? Just that you have one type or the other?
It's not based on direction, just the way the equipment is setup. Some cab cars have alertors while some have deadman pedals, I'm sure one of our MN employees can tell us which series Control car uses what. Deadman pedals are pretty much a thing of the past....

Unless I'm mistaken, the only cab cars that operate on MN with alerters are the SLE cars that CDOT bought from VRE a few years back. I think all Shoreliner cab cars still use dead man pedals.
  by scoostraw

8th Notch wrote:It's not based on direction, just the way the equipment is setup. Some cab cars have alertors while some have deadman pedals, I'm sure one of our MN employees can tell us which series Control car uses what.
That's what I mean. The P32's have alerters but the cab cars do not??
Deadman pedals are pretty much a thing of the past....
Well I thought so too. But apparently not.
  by Ken W2KB

4behind2 wrote:Where was the Metro-North President in all this? There have been no statements from his people on the accident.
Metro North as a participant in the NTSB investigation is not permitted by NTSB regulations to issue any statement on the event beyond stating that it is cooperating with the NTSB.
  by truck6018

scoostraw wrote:
8th Notch wrote:It's not based on direction, just the way the equipment is setup. Some cab cars have alertors while some have deadman pedals, I'm sure one of our MN employees can tell us which series Control car uses what.
That's what I mean. The P32's have alerters but the cab cars do not??
Deadman pedals are pretty much a thing of the past....
Well I thought so too. But apparently not.
The cab cars are Bombardier, the locomotives are Genesis. May have been something as to what the vendors offered at the time of procurement.
  by pumpers

Ken W2KB wrote:
4behind2 wrote:Where was the Metro-North President in all this? There have been no statements from his people on the accident.
Metro North as a participant in the NTSB investigation is not permitted by NTSB regulations to issue any statement on the event beyond stating that it is cooperating with the NTSB.
And we saw last night with what they did to the union association president that NTSB is very serious about that. JS
  by Tommy Meehan

The participants are not allowed to comment on the NTSB investigation. There's nothing in this world preventing Permut from issuing a statement of regret, to reassure riders that the matter will be thoroughly investigated and steps will be taken to ensure nothing of the kind ever happens again. Only he seems to have gone missing.

Maybe he's busy updating his resume? :-)
  by Ridgefielder

Tommy Meehan wrote:I think Dutch is joking but just for the record New York Central did recompute the mileage after the Marble Hill realignment in 1906. In a 1901 ETT the mileage to Spuyten Duyvil station is shown as 11.15 (from Grand Central). After the realignment the mileage to Spuyten Duyvil was shown in the ETTs as 10.41.
Not sure he is joking. Don't the mileposts actually count from the lot line on 42nd Street, too, rather than the bumper posts?
  by Ken W2KB

Tommy Meehan wrote:The participants are not allowed to comment on the NTSB investigation. There's nothing in this world preventing Permut from issuing a statement of regret, to reassure riders that the matter will be thoroughly investigated and steps will be taken to ensure nothing of the kind ever happens again. Only he seems to have gone missing.

Maybe he's busy updating his resume? :-)
The December 2nd MTA press release states in pertinent part:

"The railroad is cooperating fully with the National Transportation Safety Board, which is the lead agency investigating the accident.

“This is an extremely challenging time for all of us,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast. “We want to thank Governor Cuomo for his leadership during this crisis and the New York Police Department and the New York Fire Department for their quick response and expert assistance in dealing with this tragic incident.”

For customers who were on the train that derailed, there is a toll-free number to provide assistance. Please contact the Metro-North Help Line at 1-800-METRO-INFO (800-638-7646) for information, assistance and lost & found items."

http://new.mta.info/press-release/metro ... and-subway
  by 4behind2

You're missing the point.

Its understood Metro-North's President can't comment on an investigation (unlike the New York Governor who does as he pleases with speculation). My question is where is she/he? Nowhere in the media did I see a caption this person was even on the scene of the derailment.That is inexuseable.

And Permut is the President?
  by Ken W2KB

4behind2 wrote:You're missing the point.

Its understood Metro-North's President can't comment on an investigation (unlike the New York Governor who does as he pleases with speculation). My question is where is she/he? Nowhere in the media did I see a caption this person was even on the scene of the derailment.That is inexuseable.

And Permut is the President?
From the perspective of the railroad employees actually engaged in activities at the scene, I wager that among the last things things they would want is the a senior officer at the scene perceivable as looking over their shoulder, even from a distance. Also, from a liability perspective the less said the better, and ducking questions by reporters would be painted by plaintiff's counsel in subsequent litigation as an indication of something to hide.
  by RearOfSignal

8th Notch wrote:
scoostraw wrote:So if the train is in push mode, the cab car has a deadman pedal? And if it is in pull mode there is an alerter?

It seems odd that different systems are used depending on which direction the train is moving.

What are the federal requirements? Just that you have one type or the other?
It's not based on direction, just the way the equipment is setup. Some cab cars have alertors while some have deadman pedals, I'm sure one of our MN employees can tell us which series Control car uses what. Deadman pedals are pretty much a thing of the past....
If you read previous posts this has been answered already.
  by Tadman

This has been quite a humbling week. It's reminded me of my fallibility and immortality quite a lot. When I was young, I used to drive fast cars and I made 'em go fast. I got in a Paul Walker-style accident but walked away. I slowed down a lot. I've come darn close to falling asleep behind the wheel, so much so that once I pulled off into an office complex, and in the process of finding a spot to park, fell asleep and scuffed my wheels at low speed on a curb. I can only imagine if I had stayed on the interstate at 85mph, I could've caused a pileup that equalled the tragedy in the recent MNCR derailment. I think about sleep a lot more now.

I think a lot of good points have been made here about crew rest, and lot of use have taken a step back and re-examined ourselves. I really hope going forward that some constructive measures can be put in place. Something regarding crew rest, and perhaps something regarding a better alerter.

I'm also more fed up with the media than I have been in a while. I really don't watch news much anymore other than emergencies, and it's because they need a 24-7 story to tell to feed the viewers. They have no problem holding a double standard provided they keep eyeballs on their station or site.
  by scoostraw

Tadman wrote:This has been quite a humbling week. It's reminded me of my fallibility and immortality quite a lot. When I was young, I used to drive fast cars and I made 'em go fast. I got in a Paul Walker-style accident but walked away. I slowed down a lot. I've come darn close to falling asleep behind the wheel, so much so that once I pulled off into an office complex, and in the process of finding a spot to park, fell asleep and scuffed my wheels at low speed on a curb. I can only imagine if I had stayed on the interstate at 85mph, I could've caused a pileup that equalled the tragedy in the recent MNCR derailment. I think about sleep a lot more now.

I think a lot of good points have been made here about crew rest, and lot of use have taken a step back and re-examined ourselves. I really hope going forward that some constructive measures can be put in place. Something regarding crew rest, and perhaps something regarding a better alerter.

I'm also more fed up with the media than I have been in a while. I really don't watch news much anymore other than emergencies, and it's because they need a 24-7 story to tell to feed the viewers. They have no problem holding a double standard provided they keep eyeballs on their station or site.
Amen Tadman. Well said.