• Maine Central in Color Vol 1

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by pinwizard1971

I borrowed a copy of Maine Central in Color Vol 1 from the Lewiston library and I can't put this book down! It is gorgeous! It's so fun to see what the MEC looked like 30 to 40 years ago when I was a kid.

The only thing I wish is that the captions of the photos did a better job of consistently pointing out exactly where the photo was taken by mentioning what might be in that location today. I know the book is over 10 years old, but even mentioning locations from 1998 would be helpful. I've been able to determine a few locations using Google Maps and street view trying to match up landmarks, but maybe some of you have this book and are able to point out a few locations for me so that I may be able to see what the location looks like today. Of particular interest are the two shots on the Lewiston Lower road on page 22. The top photograph really has me puzzled since it mentions the Back Road bridge over the Androscoggin yet I can't find anything on Google maps that matches up with the Lewiston Lower crossing the Androscoggin. Very curious as to where in Lewiston the lower picture on page 22 is as well. Any help would be appreciated!
  by calaisbranch

From what I've heard over the years, the Lewiston Lower never crossed the Androscoggin. It followed the opposite side of the river down through Lisbon and eventually to Brunswick. While the "main" of the Lewiston Lower parallels Lincoln Street in Lewiston, the pic at the bottom page 22 is a spur that breaks northerly off of it and follows Bleachery St. right up to Lisbon Street.

J Bray
  by pinwizard1971

Calaisbranch, thanks for the info. I was able to trace where that came off the Lewiston Lower thanks to your landmarks. From satellite and arial views it seems that rail is long gone.

Google Maps: http://bit.ly/8XJ3jl
Was it the Lewiston lower that crossed on this bridge:
http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#5003/ ... 8&pid=5874

They both end up in the same general area of the city.
That's the old Grand Trunk bridge that carried the line up to the Grand Trunk passenger station that still stands today. It's now a pedestrian bridge. I'm pretty sure MEC didn't travel over that but the two routes did pass over one another near Washington Street in Auburn.
  by Mikejf

The Lewiston Lower never did cross the Androscoggin but look closely at the photograph. Look through the handrail of the locomotive on the left side. That is the Back Road bridge over the River.

The Bridge in the forground is still in place, used as a vehicle bridge. On Google mapsit is near the intersection of Mill st and Cross St, with Mill St being on the old railbed. The building to the right still stands, along with the tall tower above the Conrail Boxcar. The line of buildings to the left behind the enginehouse are now gone, but they stood next to Railroad Alley.

As for the photo on the bottom of the page. That is on the loop going into Roy Brothers wharehouse. Currently the city of Lewiston has their public works facility in the parking lot to the right of the train. To find this location, go south. There is a road called Strawberry patch road that is right next to the rails. The road makes a gentle curve towards Lisbon St. This is the old grade. Cross Lisbon St and there is a cluster of buildings to the left. The tracks swung around them and came in next to the long building. The photo was taken by the somewhat square building at the back of the lot. The siding ran up to Adams St. With the switch to the Wharehouse under the knuckles of the 2nd and 3rd car from the locomotive.

Hope this helps clear up anything.

Mike
  by pinwizard1971

Thanks for the info. It's all starting to jog my memory of traveling through Lewiston in the 70's and 80's. I vaguely remember a grade crossing on Lisbon Street that would have been used to get into that warehouse, but never actually caught a train there. If I recall correctly it was just a crossbuck sign with no signals.

By looking at Google Maps, that small rail yard shown in the Maine Central in Color book on page 22 appears to be all parking lot now:

Google Maps: http://bit.ly/ajFcIs