Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Rockingham Racer

DutchRailnut wrote:yes it is scale and no their still not converting M-8's to bar cars and probably never will.
Another time-honored practice down the drain :-D
  by Tadman

DutchRailnut wrote:yes it is scale and no their still not converting M-8's to bar cars and probably never will.
You guys ever see that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry David begins to suspect the weatherman is predicting rain so he'll have the golfcourse to himself? After the fifth time in a few weeks that Larry sees the weatherman out on the empty course after predicting rain, he blows his top at the weatherman?

I'm beginning to think they really are going to make M8 bar cars, and Dutch just doesn't want us drinking with him... I know he's a beer fan.

Save a Heineken for us, Dutch!

:-D :-D
  by DutchRailnut

you said Beer, in Holland that means Grolsch ;-)
I am serious despite mention of bar cars just to appease the natives, there is zero plans to convert M-8 cars.
New Haven line is already short seats even with the 24 SLE cars as part of M-8 fleet, forget it guys, want to drink let me know when you are around Brookfield,CT ill join .
this entire bar car thing is turning into a Matt Johnson turboliner saga , its not going to happen.
  by NH2060

DutchRailnut wrote:I am serious despite mention of bar cars just to appease the natives, there is zero plans to convert M-8 cars.
New Haven line is already short seats even with the 24 SLE cars as part of M-8 fleet, forget it guys... its not going to happen.
You and I and anyone else can keep saying that all we want but let's face it some folks just won't get it when it comes to this..

IMO full Hartford Line service, Waterbury-Hartford trains and perhaps Hartford-Manchester + Hartford Line-Pioneer Valley through runs could/should be a reality before any bar car conversions get even remotely seriously looked into on CDOT's end.
  by Travelsonic

DutchRailnut wrote:yes it is scale
Sorta glad this never got past the design phase then, seems like the layout could have been thought out a wee bit better IMO.
  by nomis

Gov. Malloy Announces Decision to Purchase 60 Additional Rail Cars for Expanded Capacity on the New Haven Line
Busiest Commuter Rail Line in the Nation Continues to Experience All-Time High Ridership
http://portal.ct.gov/Departments_and_Ag ... aven_Line/

Fair use quote discarded for Press Release
Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that as the New Haven Line continues to experience all-time high record ridership numbers, the State of Connecticut will soon purchase an additional 60 M-8 rail cars to add to its recently launched, state-of-the-art fleet servicing the line, which remains the busiest commuter rail line in the nation. With each car carrying 105 seats, adding the new cars will accommodate more than 6,000 additional commuters.

"More and more, Connecticut residents are choosing public transportation to go about their daily commutes. If we want to remain competitive in the 21st Century, modernized economy in a way that attracts new businesses and creates high-skilled jobs, we must update our infrastructure and give our commuters a best-in-class transportation system," Governor Malloy. "We have witnessed what decades of underinvestment has resulted in, and we can no longer afford to sit back and let the status quo remain. This is just one of many bold steps we are implementing statewide toward making a modernized transportation system reality - because our economic future depends on it."

The New Haven Line is owned by the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) and operated by Metro-North Railroad under contract with the CTDOT. In 2015, it carried more than 40.3 million passengers, up two percent from the prior year and setting an all-time record. Ridership overall is up about 12 percent over the last five years, with peak-hour ridership up 27 percent.

CTDOT Commissioner James P. Redeker noted that the New Haven Line is now carrying as many passengers today as had been predicted for 2021. He added that CTDOT is testing the M-8 rail cars for possible use on Shore Line East - the commuter railroad between New Haven and New London, where trains need to be propelled by locomotives. The M-8s are powered by overhead catenary lines and do not need locomotives.

An allocation of $200 million is anticipated to be considered later this month at the next meeting of the State Bond Commission to approve the purchase of the new M-8 rail cars.

Under current plans, 10 of the 60 new rail cars will be converted into café cars - popularly known as bar cars. The last New Haven Line café cars were retired in 2014.

Connecticut has already purchased 405 of the M-8 rail cars, which began going into service in 2011 and are now standard on the New Haven Line. Most of the older M-2 rail cars have been retired, but a small fleet remain as back-ups.

Since their implementation, the new M-8 cars have been very well received by customers, who have praised the roomier, high-back, contoured seats with individual headrests and curved arm rests anchored at both ends in the upholstery. The cars have larger windows and better lighting, especially in the vestibules for improved safety.

Each pair of cars have been equipped with bike racks, and they also have intercom systems that customers can use to contact the crew in case of emergency. Other features include LED displays that show the next stop and automated audio announcements, electrical outlets to charge personal devices, coat hooks, and curved luggage racks. Outside, customers see prominent electronic destination signs and external public address speakers. Single leaf doors provide high reliability and lessen the susceptibility to snow intrusion.

by dowlingm

Prediction: the bar cars will be backloaded, then abandoned in favour of standard cars, and Dutch will be telling us "New Haven is still short of cars because of the bottomless pit of demand so get over the bar cars already" :-D
  by DutchRailnut

probably ;-)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Front page of The Times NY/Region section today:

Fair Use:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/nyreg ... -seat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'ts harder to connect with people” on trains that do not have bar cars, she said. “There are tons of things that happen in a bar car that are not about drinking. A lot of people got together and got married, got jobs, made business connections. There are people, their kids play softball together. They play golf together. I met some of my greatest friends in Connecticut through the bar car
I would guess the historical photo is that of a New Haven #500X MU Club; so far as the photo of M-2 Bar 8667, if a Conductor or Trainman on my MILW ever showed up for looking for work like that slob, he would be yanked from service "just like that". From my New Haven riding days, I'd say equally applicable.
  by Ridgefielder

Interesting that the article cites the VXI GBC, although it fails to mention that that particular car was a private club.
Last edited by nomis on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed quote of previous post
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Ridgefield, the "Five Eleven Gentlemen's Bar Car was open to all. It was assigned to Train #374, which departed GCT at 5:11PM. After 125th, it operated non-stop to Riverside, then making "most all" to New Haven.

It was of course locomotive (FL-9) hauled, and had "quite a few" 86XX's Stainless sheathed cars in its consist.

Near the Bar, the following was framed for all to see:
Isaiah 5:11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them
"Rode it all the time" Summer 1965.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: so far as the photo of M-2 Bar 8667, if a Conductor or Trainman on my MILW ever showed up for looking for work like that slob, he would be yanked from service "just like that". From my New Haven riding days, I'd say equally applicable.
At least he's not wearing a baseball cap; we see a lot of that on SEPTA. Although there is at least one trainman who wears a genuine conductor's cap (presumably supplied at his own expense?) and a neat blue jacket. (In fairness, however, I think it must be recognized that the passengers don't look so good today either.)
  by Backshophoss

The jacket was"optional" during the summer months. The M-2 A/C's were not happy while in GCT,it would get better when the
train cleared the tunnel into "fresh air"
  by BandA

Maybe beer companies could sponsor the purchase of "cafe cars" and earn back the cost through a share of food and beverage sales.
  by truck6018

Trainer wrote:It's why the plane I just got off from Hawaii provided good meals, free wine and pleasant service. It didn't have to - some don't - but it justifies my decision to support them with my business.
Comparing planes with trains is not a valid argument. You don't have your choice of rail lines to go back and forth to Connecticut the way you have your choice of airlines back and forth to Hawaii.

Metro North doesn't have to worry about competition with others.