• LV engine house at Tifft

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

I'm looking for a shot of the engine house (cement block) that shows at least a portion of the building from the ground to the roof. All I can find, including my own collection are portions of it or over a group of locomotives. It would be great to see the whole building but that might be wishful thinking.

Any pleases to look? Thanks.
  by lvrr325

Did you try In Color V4, 5, 6 or the Wyoming/Buffalo Div. Facilities books? I recall some shots in there I hadn't seen before.
  by nydepot

Yes, I've since looked through them. One has a decent shot of the front. Thanks.
lvrr325 wrote:Did you try In Color V4, 5, 6 or the Wyoming/Buffalo Div. Facilities books? I recall some shots in there I hadn't seen before.
  by TB Diamond

The book Lost Railroads of Western New York, VI by Steve Koenig features two distant photos of the engine house, both taken from the Tifft St. bridge. One photo is on page 66, the other on page 68.
  by CPSmith

This is all I have. Any help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by nydepot

Thanks. This gives me an idea how long it was.
  by pumpers

Do you mean the yard office (what I think is the white building on the left in CP SMith's super picture) or the brick-colored building with what looks like a single bay door back a bit and right of the office, in front of the row of Cargill grain elevators in the distance?
In any case, here is a Sanborn map attached with both on there. There is a scale at the very bottom to calculate dimensions.
Buffalo.Tifft St area.1080.pdf
http://www.historicaerials.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also has pretty sharp aerial photos from 1958 and 1963 of the area where the buildings are clear, especially 1958.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by nydepot

The single bay door building. And it's concrete blocks, not brick. It's discolored from the soot of the metal chimney.

Thank you.

[quote="pumpers"]Do you mean the yard office (what I think is the white building on the left in CP SMith's super picture) or the brick-colored building with what looks like a single bay door back a bit and right of the office, in front of the row of Cargill grain elevators in the distance?
In any case, here is a Sanborn map attached with both on there. There is a scale at the very bottom to calculate dimensions. historicaerials.com also has pretty sharp aerial photos from 1958 and 1963 of the area where the buildings are clear, especially 1958.[/quote]