Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by LI Loco

I'm going to LA on business next week and thought I would visit my favorite station, LAUPT, after my meetings end to photograph the evening rush.

In the post 9/11 environment, I don't want to be hassled by any RR cops. Does anyone who frequents the place know what the environment is like for photography there?

by pennsy

Hi,

Since the place is also a movie and tv set virtually all the time, you can expect leniency. Recently # 3751 was on display, fully under steam on track 13. Lots of cameras and tv cameras clicking away. So be on your best behavior and pay attention to those around you. Stay off the tracks, guaranteed to get you into trouble.

By the way, LAUPT hasn't been used in years. LAUS is more accurate. Los Angeles Union Station. The signs on the building and in various areas say that. However, with the advent of all the Metrorail and Metrolink business coming into the station, plus all of the bus traffic it has, the name has become LATC, Los Angeles Transit Center. The Newbies call it LATC, we old timers call it LAUS. No one uses LAUPT any longer. Use that and you show your age.

I am usually there once a month, via Metrolink.

by njtmnrrbuff

If you have a day of free time, why not ride the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. you run along the pacific ocean below san juan capistrano. If no time for that, do a run out to Fullerton. You could either take Amtrak or Metrolink, but Amtrak runs more. great place to watch and photograph and you won't get into trouble. LAUPT-don't go onto the platforms unless you have a ticket. I have been on the platforms there with a ticket taking pix, and haven't gotten craped on. I never take any chances though without one.
  by Head-end View

While you're there, take a ride on the interesting Gold Light Rail line to Pasadena. :wink:
  by farmerjohn

Use to work in union station. ahaha. My voice use to blair over the P.A. making announcments beleive it or not. The amtrak cops are alright. The Sheriffs are alright. Their mostly looking for the abundence of nutt cases.
Look out for this heavy set lady in her late 50's. She can sometimes lose her cool.

by LI Loco

I look out for her. Hope she won't be looking out for me.

by njtmnrrbuff

I know who you are talking about. Yes, she did stop someone from taking a picture when I was there two months ago. I don't think they were a railfan.

by pennsy

Hi All,

I took my monthly pilgrimmage to LAUS yesterday and had a good time. Metrolink to LAUS (LATC), and then the Gold Line to Del Mar station. Checked out the old Pasadena Santa Fe RR station. Found out it will be open to the public in about six months. Looks great on the outside, and empty walls on the inside. More work needed. Had lunch and a beer at the old brewing company. Something like 100 different kinds of beer available there. I had the Guiness. (in honor of St. Patrick)

As Yogi Berra used to say, " It ain't over until the fat lady sings". I looked for the fat lady and could not find her in LAUS. I think we need a better description of this old gal. I did see security guards, including K-9 dogs. Had a chat with them and continued on. The old ticket counter area is still being used for movies and TV. They were getting set up for another shot. The comment about the restrooms, unfortunately, is correct. Only one area had working rest rooms, the other two were "closed for renovations". If I remember correctly, the back of the old ticket counter area, where they now shoot movies, had a rather nice set of restrooms, with lots of room, including areas where you could change clothes. Now unavailable.

by LI Loco

Just flew in from LA and man are my arms tired! :wink:

Went to LAUS Monday after the conference ended. My hotel was one block from the Pershing Square station on the Red Line, so the trip was a breeze. (I had bought a day pass and rode to North Hollywood in the morning.

Got the LAUS in time to get a shot of an inbound Sounder trainset pressed into Metrolink service. Also shot the Gold Line, several regular Metrolink trains and the consists of a Pacific Surfliner and the Southwest Chief, which left for Chicago at 6:45. The sleeping car attendent standing at attention waiting for his passengers looked pretty spiffy. Nobody bothered me, but I did see two sheriff's deputies make an arrest near the Gold Line.

After about 30 minutes, I rode out to Pasadena on the Gold Line. Enjoyed both the Red and Gold lines. Way to go LA! You need more.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

by LI Loco

Just flew in from LA and man are my arms tired! :wink:

Went to LAUS Monday after the conference ended. My hotel was one block from the Pershing Square station on the Red Line, so the trip was a breeze. (I had bought a day pass and rode to North Hollywood in the morning.

Got the LAUS in time to get a shot of an inbound Sounder trainset pressed into Metrolink service. Also shot the Gold Line, several regular Metrolink trains and the consists of a Pacific Surfliner and the Southwest Chief, which left for Chicago at 6:45. The sleeping car attendent standing at attention waiting for his passengers looked pretty spiffy. Nobody bothered me, but I did see two sheriff's deputies make an arrest near the Gold Line.

After about 30 minutes, I rode out to Pasadena on the Gold Line. Enjoyed both the Red and Gold lines. Way to go LA! You need more.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

by pennsy

Hi Loco,

Sounds great. Did anyone tell you that Pershing Square is right next to Angels Flight and the Grand Central Market ??? Angels Flight is a Funicular that is yet to be restored. Lots of debate on that one, and GCM is one fabulous place to eat. Lots of small concessions with all sorts of foods. Can't go wrong there. Also great for fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, etc. etc. As you pass through the market, you will find the Bradbury building, which was in the Harrison Ford science fiction movie. A couple of doors down, same side of the street is the Cutlery shop where, ALLEGEDLY, O J Simpson bought a "certain" knife.

Pershing Square has ice skating this time of year.

by Easy

pennsy wrote:Hi Loco,

Sounds great. Did anyone tell you that Pershing Square is right next to Angels Flight and the Grand Central Market ??? Angels Flight is a Funicular that is yet to be restored. Lots of debate on that one, and GCM is one fabulous place to eat. Lots of small concessions with all sorts of foods. Can't go wrong there. Also great for fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, etc. etc. As you pass through the market, you will find the Bradbury building, which was in the Harrison Ford science fiction movie. A couple of doors down, same side of the street is the Cutlery shop where, ALLEGEDLY, O J Simpson bought a "certain" knife.

Pershing Square has ice skating this time of year.
Heh. I've passed by that cutlery shop a few times. They have a nice display of knives in the window. Even though it made think of OJ, I never had any idea that was the actual place of infamy where the knife was purchased!