• Looking for N scale NYC taxicabs

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by netrain

i'm putting together a 17' x 17' n scale (1:160) setup of midtown manhattan, complete with 4/5/6 (east side) and 1/2/3/9 (west side) trains running beneath. it is very tricky to find much in n scale for this porject - but one of the hardest things to procure are n scale NYC taxi's (crown victoria and minivan), NYC police, tow, emergency vehicles, and livery cabs (also mostly crown victoria). is anyone aware of a place where i might be able to source these vehicles - especially one which can offer great detail?

thanks,
richard
  by Otto Vondrak

Sounds like you have chosen an ambitious project! Some sources for N scale vehicles:

http://www.walthers.com

Walthers is a distributor for many manufacturers, and many of the European model makers who specialize in N scale vehicles. Try searching the web site for taxi cabs. You may find the body style you're looking for, but maybe not decorated as taxis. You may have to paint them yellow yourself.

-otto-
  by netrain

thanks otto! i did find a fellow, james will, who makes resin casts of several domestic cars including the crown victoria that most nyc cabs are, but i want to have the head and taillights illuminate, and perhaps eventually (down the road, of course) convert it to a faller system to actually move around (a la the wunderland setup in hamburg). not sure if this is possible in solid resin cars.

thanks for the link and the encouragement :-)
  by scharnhorst

N Scale Taxis:
classic metal works / mini metals also makes diffret taxi cabs as well they have:
1978 Chevrolet Impala (4 door) pkg 2 $12.25 item number 221-50236
1959 Ford Fairlane Yellow Cab w/nonworking roof light (pkg 2) $14.00 item # 221-50271
1950 Dodge Meadowbrook (yellow) pkg 2 $14.00 item # 221-50271
1956 Dodge Coronet 4-door taxi (pkg 2) $14.00 item # 221-50324

Atlas also has taxis:
1996 Ford Taurus yellow 4-door pkg 2 $15.50 item # 150-2899

GHQ also Makes a Taxi:
1950's Checker Cab pkg 1 $5.95 item # 284-51011

I hope this helps best of luck to ya.