• Looking for N scale B&M passenger cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by astrosa

There are several methods of stripping paint of plastic models. One of the most common products is Chameleon paint stripper, which can be difficult to find but reportedly works very well. I often use Polly Scale's E-Z Lift Off (ELO) which works on most paints and does not seem to harm the plastic. Ordinary Pine-Sol works on some types of paints as well, and so does 91% isopropyl alcohol. Another common but somewhat messy alternative is to use automotive brake fluid.

Note that what these solutions really do is soften the paint and loosen its adhesion, and then you'll need to scrub it off with an old toothbrush. This is best done in a sink so you can rinse off the model as necessary. It's also a good idea to lightly wash the model with soapy water to make sure none of the stripping agent gets left behind, since it might begin to attack the plastic if left on for too long.

by NellsChoo

Brake fluid, or brake cleaner? I used brake cleaner to clean off a grimy 1:1 scale engine!!! I also have some "aircraft coating" remover. Stripped paint with that on metal... plastic may not fare so well...

I tried Polly S years ago and it didn't work one bit. I may just not have soaked it long enough. I don't know if I kept the bottle... will have to look... The alcohol we have in the house. But I am on a budget, and if I ruin this set of three, well... I just don't want to ruin them...

Seems a shame to strip them at all, they look no nice!

by astrosa

Brake fluid indeed. Like I said, it's a messy way to do it, and you don't want to get the stuff on your hands either, but it does usually work.

The Polly Scale ELO is somewhat sensitive to the time you leave it on there, but you're actually specifically not supposed to immerse the model in the solution. Instead, it's viscuous enough that you can spread a coat of it on the surface of the model and let it sit for maybe half an hour. Chameleon also makes their stripper in a gel formula that works this way.

I can pretty much safely say that the 91% alcohol is guaranteed not to attack the plastic models. As I said before, these solutions simply soften the paint, they don't dissolve it or anything, so unless the plastic is exposed to them for a much longer time than recommended, the models will be fine.

If anything, you should be more worried about whether the paint will even come off completely. Some manufacturers use thick coats of paint that take numerous applications of stripper and vigorous scrubbing to remove. If you're lucky, though, one or two cycles should be enough to completely strip the shell.

by NellsChoo

Does anyone know if the B&M and MEC used 4 or 6 wheel trucks on their heavyweight cars?

by Otto Vondrak

It depends on what kind of car you are talking about. And it wasn't the railroad's choice, it was whoever was building the car. Best to work with some photos of the equipment you are trying to follow, if you have any.

-otto-

by NellsChoo

I'm still trying to find color photos. I was flipping through a book while at the Seashore Trolley Museum, and saw a Pullman green Maine Central car. This made me think maybe for a first project I'd just decal my green ones for MEC. BUT, since these books are so expensive, I didn't buy it. I neglected to look at how many wheels the trucks had...

Maybe I should just invent my own road!!! I just would like to have something at least remotely correct...

by paulrail

Correct me if I am wrong, but wern't the pre WWII B&M passenger cars painted Hunter green, Pullman green or some variation thereof ?

I thought the wine/maroon colored cars came into being after the war was over. If this is the case, Jonelle, you actually don't have to strip and repaint your cars. You can just decal them up in the green paint scheme.

Paul.

by NellsChoo

I heard about the older B&M cars being green, but me being me, I'd like to see some kind of photographic proofe of this. I think this is one reason I stopped building model cars... I got too wrapped up in correct paint colors!!!!

by Steve Wagner

I think I read that the Boston & Maine's transition from Pullman green to maroon passenger cars happened during the Second World War.

I'm sure I read that when the color changed the position of the road name on the car sides did, too. The green cars had it up on the letterboard. The maroon cars had it under the windows, with the letters much less spread out. This is the easiest way to tell the color of B&M cars shown in black & white photos, such as those in the softbound book on B&M passenger cars published by Bob's Photos in Connecticut.

Many B&M modelers like the Accupaint colors made by Scale Model Products (George Bishop), of Bolton, Massachusetts. They're supposed to be in better supply than they have been for some time.

by NellsChoo

I did a quick scan of some of the books I have, and it seems like most of the B&M cars had 4 wheel trucks. What book did Bob's Photos release? I wonder if I have seen it... or do I already have it???

by SLR 393

I would ask on the B&M yahoo list, there is one for just modeling now.

by NellsChoo

I always loose my patience searching for Yahoo groups. I never did find any B&M ones last time I looked. I guess I can try again and see if my luck has changed...