Railroad Forums 

• Long Corrugated Shed at LIC Team Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #529807  by rb

How new is that? Is someone shipping pulp in there? There were about 12 boxcars there this am.

#530375  by DogBert

? !

That'd be quite the jump from the usual few cars in & out of there. Don't recall the last time I went by but I don't recall any shed...

#531160  by Spartan Phalanx

I saw this bright, shiny corrugated aluminum shed today. It looks quite new. The team tracks were pretty full, mostly boxcars. Also saw some tankcars on the spur closest to the new Arch St. Shop building.

#531755  by nyandw

jtunnel wrote:Passed by on Saturday. Nice to see some "new" freight activity

few photos:

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... x?id=31883
Thanks John: Any idea what the loads are and for whom? Can we pinpoint this location on a map with the sidings you photographed?

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/licity/licity.htm Use any of these maps if they help!
Best,
Steve

#532022  by DogBert

steve i think most of the maps on your page are too old to show that track specifically. If you go to the second map from the top you've got, it's basically where the old eastbound classification for the float yard was by hunters point ave (across from the lirr station).

It's interesting to see that old LIRR MoW boxcar is still on that track. I figured it'd have been cut up for scrap by now. It's actually derailed over the bumper block at the end of the track.

Not sure how traffic has been the last few years but when I was taking the 7 subway more around 10 years ago arch st. was pretty well used with 5-10 cars being the norm. Before that there was some sand & stone dealer where the new MTA shop is that used to move a lot of aggregate cars. The classification yard for the floats was taken out before by time (though I still recall the tracks to the abandoned floats & the vernon blvd. bridge that only went away in the early 90s)

Considering how LIC is changing so fast these days with residential development, I'm a bit surprised those tracks are still used. I wonder why this customer opted to be here instead of perhaps someplace like maspeth which at least seems to have more real estate...

#532043  by jtunnel

No idea who the loads are for, but looking at the cars along side, probably food stuffs.

That yard is a nice example of a modern team yard. There is even an auger type conveyor in one corner of the yard for trans-loading from covered hoppers to trucks.

As for location, Dogbert is correct, sort of hard to correlate the location with the hand drawn maps. Taking an educated guess, perhaps between track 7 & 8 on the Emery map. Live local or Google maps might be of better use.

Lots of building materials, probably for the local building spurt and a lot of tank cars hauling food grade liquids (corn syrup, oils, etc)

Hope this place lasts beyond the building boom. Maybe the MTA will sell the air rights here too.........

#533730  by phantom

The corrugated building is New Yung Wah. Mostly rice and corn starch; a big customer. There is not enough room for him in Maspeth. The building is located on the brick/team track. He used to be all the way forward on the north track but the cocoa and oil people utilize that now.
The lumber and brick customers are starting to pick up again as well as the other business in LIC.