Railroad Forums 

• Locomotives in Oaks Pa

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#620477  by bruce a.

Any one know any thing about the loco's in Oaks Pa ? I seen them today when I was at the Train show
 #620772  by nickrapak

What I can discern from looking at them, and some research on the 'net is that there are four locomotives:
  • an 0-4-0 Tanker, formerly Worcester County Electric no. 1, was at Steamtown until being sold to a private party.
    an old Whitcomb four-wheel switcher
    A 44-ton switcher
    a speeder in pretty derilict condition
I have no idea about who owns the cars, or why they are there. I would also like some information, if anyone has it.

P.S. here is a website that has someone's railfanning expedition to Oaks.
 #620979  by CarterB

Is the station and 'critters' at this location? SE corner Gumbes Rd (Station Rd) @ Eqypt Rd, Oaks, PA?
 #621040  by nickrapak

There is a station and a 3' gauge loco at the corner you are talking about, but the other locomotives are located in the old factory area behind your location.

For a satellite view, click here. The trains are just west of the intersection, right before the tree line.
 #621243  by GOLDEN-ARM

It would be nice, if anyone had some ground level pics of these. Curious about the "44 tonner" personally. Anyone close to these. The tree line shot shows nothing of any use, other than there is something there......
 #621286  by jayrmli

I was an exhibitor at the show, and was wondering about them myself while "snooping around" on off- hours.

The one displayed at the station looks like it had some streamlining features added for display purposes, but the others are just sitting there on another track away from the display. I'd like to know more about them as well.

Jay
 #621627  by Flababo

Some of them may have come from Phoenix Iron, I know they found several locomotives abandoned in the old steel mill when they started tearing it down.
 #635852  by Tom_E_Reynolds

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:It would be nice, if anyone had some ground level pics of these. Curious about the "44 tonner" personally. Anyone close to these. The tree line shot shows nothing of any use, other than there is something there......
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
 #637455  by NNR

Does any one have direct contact info of the owner i am especially interested in the 040 and have the meens to move it! Thanks in advance
 #1088933  by daylight4449

I take it that since the WCEC No. 1 is still in the mud, based on the current aerial view in the map provided, nothing much has happened. I am working on a establishing an NRHS chapter, and considering this is one of only three engines that I am aware of that has operated in Worcester County, I'd like to know more so I can try and communicate with the owner of the No. 1. Even if the engine can't be returned to Central Mass, I think documenting the story behind this old Porter might be worth it.
 #1088945  by Schuylkill Valley

Contact Pat McKinght at steamtown, he might be able to help you since Steamtown USA once own the steamer.
1-888-693-9391 Ext. 5193
I wish you all the best,
Len.
Former Steamtown Volunteer.