• Location Identification Needed

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

Any idea where this photo was taken ?

by Teutobergerwald

Most likely in Queens, due to the style of houses and the spacing between them. Richmond Hill or Hollis, thereabouts?????
  by Teutobergerwald

On second thought, maybe Floral Park? That white commercial building could be that customer from a long time ago that has the disconnected spur descending from the right-of-way.
  by SwingMan

Looks to be Port Washington Yard, facing south east from the overpass.
  by newkirk

Thanks all for your responses including SwingMan for the Port Washington yard location.
Now try this head scratcher on for size:

by PhilBob1

Port Washington yard, yes.
  by BobLI

Freeport. Track on lower right going to team yard.
  by Teutobergerwald

Does Freeport still have a team track, that an off-line NYA customer in the area could use, when needed?
  by newkirk

This one has me stumped.

by LB

The chicken wire strung on the posts between the tracks is a match from some of these locations (Wantagh, Seaford, Amityville, Stewart Manor, Nassau Blvd, Little Neck, Cedarhurst). Cedarhurst had double yellow lines painted on the low platform so that's out. Stewart Manor, Nassau Blvd and Little Neck did not have the low 3 bar telegraph poles, so they're out. So I'm thinking Amityville, Seaford or Wantagh.
  by newkirk

The chicken wire strung on the posts between the tracks is a match from some of these locations (Wantagh, Seaford, Amityville, Stewart Manor, Nassau Blvd, Little Neck, Cedarhurst). Cedarhurst had double yellow lines painted on the low platform so that's out. Stewart Manor, Nassau Blvd and Little Neck did not have the low 3 bar telegraph poles, so they're out. So I'm thinking Amityville, Seaford or Wantagh.
Is it an illusion, but it seems there are only three double deck cars in the photo. Wouldn't a Babylon branch consist have more ?
  by newkirk

BobLi wrote: Freeport. Track on lower right going to team yard.
Wouldn't the Meadowbrook Parkway overpass out of view of this photo ?
  by newkirk

LB wrote:So I'm thinking Amityville, Seaford or Wantagh.
A good friend of mine who was around when Seaford station was on the ground says that photo I posted is not Seaford. If anything, that may be an eastbound train judging by the sun on the street to the right.

Here's Seaford in June 1963 if the date is correct.

by LB

Newkirk,
Your Seaford photo is from 1967/8. There is not much to go on at all in the other photo, my strongest hunches were Wantagh / Seaford or the Far Rockaway Branch. Seaford was more rustic than Wantagh back then (probably still is now), with not as much commercial development near the tracks. Back then in Seaford, Jackson Avenue was not a through street (ended at RR tracks). Tall power poles would have been north of the tracks and telegraph poles south of the tracks. That photo is from a 3 photo series of the same location, but the other 2 are even tighter shots and don't help much with the location ID. Only other thing to go on in photo is light pole and structure on right side.