• LIRR Union Negotiations/Newsday Editorial

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mjd13076

ADL6009 wrote:When the Unions go on strike the House of Representatives will order the Unions back to work almost immediately. In the same act they will impose the federal mediators recommendations to resolve the dispute. Exactly what the union wants. Doesnt anyone see this? And the MTA knows this is exactly how it will end.
I hope you're right. Fingers crossed.
  by Commuter X

Pop Quiz -- If the LIRR was subject to the Taylor Law, would there still be talk of a strike?
  by DutchRailnut

No but they would have had contract 4 years ago, and not this railway labor act step plan that keeps railroad working without.
  by Commuter X

The Railway Labor Act needs to be updated. The Act was passed in 1926 and many things have changed since then

However, our do-nothing, feckless representatives in Washington will not do anything for fear of offending their supporters

Junior wants no part of this, neither does the House. Will Sen. Chucky step in to save the day?
  by DutchRailnut

got feeling chucky will stay very quite, specially since Mrs Schumer is now on MTA board.
  by truck6018

DutchRailnut wrote:http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/070920 ... gotiations
Excerpt from the governor's office press release:
I want to thank the New York State Congressional Delegation for making it abundantly clear today that Congress will not act to bring about a labor settlement at the Long Island Rail Road. The unions’ false belief that Congress would step in to mandate a settlement was a major impediment to any real progress......
This was the unions' idea for Prendergast to take a ride to DC on taxpayers $$$$? Last I checked it was Prendergast that initiated the meeting.

So much for Prince Andrew for not taking sides.
  by Commuter X

DutchRailnut wrote:got feeling chucky will stay very quite, specially since Mrs Schumer is now on MTA board.
Due to hubby's position, I am sure a conflict check was done
  by BuddR32

DutchRailnut wrote:got feeling chucky will stay very quite, specially since Mrs Schumer is now on MTA board.

HA HA, my thoughst exactly. I said that all of a sudden we wont hear about how Chucky doesnt feel safe on the trains anymore.

Few people know the relationship. I also use the 2003 SI Ferry wreck as an example. Iris was NYC DOT Commish. NOT A PEEP FROM CHUCKY!
  by BuddR32

LongIslandTool wrote:
Of course the law requires striking employees to be hired back when the job action ends, but nobody seems to care about laws anymore.
Yes it does. However, isnt it so that IF the replacement employees are fully qualified at the end of such job action, the returning workers cannot displace the replacements? Also, wouldn't it be under the new imposed terms?

THAT process would be long, not as long as this four year debacle, but too long to go without LIRR service.
  by Commuter X

BuddR32 wrote:

HA HA, my thoughst exactly. I said that all of a sudden we wont hear about how Chucky doesnt feel safe on the trains anymore.

Few people know the relationship. I also use the 2003 SI Ferry wreck as an example. Iris was NYC DOT Commish. NOT A PEEP FROM CHUCKY!
And our junior Senator still carries his water

Sen Jellybrand probably does not know LI exists

What a State we live in !!!
  by LIRR272

Commuter X wrote:The Railway Labor Act needs to be updated. The Act was passed in 1926 and many things have changed since then

However, our do-nothing, feckless representatives in Washington will not do anything for fear of offending their supporters

Junior wants no part of this, neither does the House. Will Sen. Chucky step in to save the day?
The Railway Labor Act affects all railroads not just the LIRR. So if its going to change, ALL railroads would need to agree to having it change. Whether Junior or Chucky is in office it doesn't matter.
  by Slippy

8 days to go..

Has the public forgotten that there are other crafts striking in addition to train service personnel? Apparently the summer intern journalists at Newsday omit any mention of other skilled crafts involved in this.

I am sure the 1%'ers who head to the Hamptons for the weekend will be swamping the phone lines of their congressmen next weekend if a deal is not struck by then.
  by LIRR272

Slippy wrote:8 days to go..

Has the public forgotten that there are other crafts striking in addition to train service personnel? Apparently the summer intern journalists at Newsday omit any mention of other skilled crafts involved in this.

I am sure the 1%'ers who head to the Hamptons for the weekend will be swamping the phone lines of their congressmen next weekend if a deal is not struck by then.
They don't mention the other crafts because they are not visible by the public. They don't care about the signal maintainer, usher, cleaner, etc. They see and read about engineers and conductors and that's all they come to think about. Engineers and conductors become the face of the railroad because they are out in the public. If the train is late, they yell at the conductor. Not the signal maintainer who had to free up a switch so the signal can be displayed. That is why if the railroad goes on strike, the public will be furious because they see and hear about engineers and conductors making lots of money and they think everybody on the railroad is making that type of money. Not true. So there is no sympathy for the railroad worker. The Blue Collar worker.