• LIRR P72 coaches... where'd they go?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

PRRGuy wrote:Ex Long Island 2937 is currently operating at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in Indiana. She has had plenty of steel work done and a new paint job.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=196373

Ryan

That one looks really nice. Good to see one not trashed or in a movie.
  by Tadman

Wait til you see it up close. It's freakin immaculate. Last summer, NKP 765 pulled it and a string of other cars around the museum trackage (3 miles?) and it was amazing how much work must've gone into that car.
  by nyandw

Tadman wrote:Wait til you see it up close. It's freakin immaculate. Last summer, NKP 765 pulled it and a string of other cars around the museum trackage (3 miles?) and it was amazing how much work must've gone into that car.

Sweet, looks great from afar...
  by Doc Emmet Brown

whats on the inside? I assume it had M-1 seats in it, because I can see the emergency escape windows still on it, that were installed at Morris Park. They were put in about the same time.
Did they get original style seats, or M-1 style?
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Nevermind, looked it up myself, M-1 seats..

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... =nictd1000
Looks like they also have a LIRR Hack..

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... =nictd1000

Ex Lirr Coaches are all over the US. Colorado, Florida, NJ, Georgia, New England, and other places.
  by keyboardkat

I wish the LIRR museum would restore one to original factory condition, with reversible seats. And ditch the carpeting on the walls between the windows. Also as built the LIRR cars did not have full-length baggage racks. The baggage racks were shorter, and there were several of them on each side, located a few feet apart.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Correct...MP-72 before..( Im thinking that might be a young Joe R there.. an Engineer could be wrong...)
Mp-72 after

MP-72 Parlor..
Bonus for Christmas.. Seminole Gulf RR ex LIRR worlds fair zip car decorated for Christmas ( ft meyers FLA)
  by keyboardkat

Notice on Doc's "before" picture, some dim-bulb installed those movable seatbacks backwards with the corner grab handles next to the wall (!) instead of on the aisle side where they could be reached? Did Pullman-Standard do that, or did the LIRR install these?
  by MACTRAXX

KBK: Those older coach flip seats had handles on BOTH ends...MACTRAXX
  by Doc Emmet Brown

in any case the tops of those seats could be pulled off, and swung around and put back on. they came right off. They were held in place by two prongs and slid right off. Maybe someone turned them like that as a joke.
  by lala

Those handles on the seats may have been put by the window by design. I can remember working a train and walking a little briskly when the brakes were applied and getting my fingers caught in those handles and with my momentum going foward almost had my fingers snapped.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

yep happened to me too, another time my wife bought me a nice watch for Christmas and I broke it getting caught on one of those handles.
  by LongIslandTool

There was a time when the shops were told to install the seat backs that way to save people's fingers, as lala mentioned.

The railroad paid out and still pays out claims for injuries to those who break their fingers in tr handholds.
  by PRRGuy

Glad you guys like it. Other then a cleaning, nothing has been done to the interior since it got to the museum. The Private owner that is selling the car to the museum also owns the LIRR caboose and has an LIRR RS-1 stored there as well.

Ryan