• LIRR MP-54 Colors c.1913?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NY&NE

I have a long-term goal to model the LIRR Whitestone Branch after electrification. I have ordered an N scale MP-54 kit for this project. All photos I have seen are black & white. What color scheme would be correct for this car from 1913, until abandonment of the branch in 1932?
Thanks.
  by workextra

For the MP54's Probably PRR Tuscan red with Black Roof, the railroads name in gold on the letter board.
for the steam engines probably black with gold lettering.
Once they started using MP54's they would have been in pool service over the entire railroad so any color photo of MP54s of that time period should suffice.
Image from below link.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchRe ... =40&page=2
These are HO.
  by NY&NE

Thanks, workextra. Appreciate the quick reply!...and the link.
  by workextra

Nick,
I hope the above photo helps, A RS1 painted in black with gold lettering would look great at the point. however a Pennsy G5/K4 would look better pulling the cars in the pic I posted.
Are you building a functioning Layout or just a modular of the long lost Whitestone branch?
Do you have a track plan and measurements?
  by NY&NE

Hey, workextra.

My thoughts are do a N scale modular of the Whitestone Branch from Whitestone Station to Whitestone Landing. I may incorporate it into a functioning layout as a fantasy branch line. I began gathering info over 40 years ago when I lived as a kid on the ROW, adjacent to the 11th Ave Bridge (now Clintonville St.).

I will be developing a track layout based upon street maps(including Sanborn Maps) and commonly published photos. I have recently found 1924 aerial photos that clearly show the ROW from Whitestone Landing to Flushing on the NYC.gov website (http://gis.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap/), with zoom-in capability. I have a never before seen photo of the wooden 10th. Avenue railroad bridge, from a former neighbor’s residence that was located right next to it. I hope to post it after I figure out how to link photos to these posts. That should help fill in another gap. Naturally my own childhood house will be making a cameo appearance along the ROW.

A big challenge will be scratch building the Stations and platforms, as there are no accurate drawings of them that I am aware of. Does anyone out there know existing surveys or architectural plans for these structures? One would think that the Whitestone Station would at least have been surveyed by highway crews, prior to construction of the Cross Island Parkway. I hope to develop my own set of plans and elevations on AutoCAD, based upon the few known views from photographs and postcards. Overall floorplan dimensions I hope to measure off of the 1924 aerials. My first attempts will be blocked out in cardstock.

The MP-54 that I will be modeling is the first addition to my roster. It will be an unpowered version of a motor passenger car. More units will be added after I complete this one.

By the Way...In 1 week's time, I have gotten more answers to my questions, from you fine folks on this forum, than in all my previous years of searching. Any new bits of info, no matter how small, will be appreciated. Many thanks!!!
  by workextra

That Map Is cool, I was able to relatively accurately trace the old ROW through the residential and commercial neighborhoods.
At Whitestone Junction while doing the transition from the 1924-2006 the remaining Whitestone trackbed was relatively on target.
Unless I missed it, how did they turn engines before electrification in Whitestone? Or was the turning facilities gone by 1924?
Looking at the current map. It's almost hard to image a rail line through any of those neighborhoods over which the long lost Whitestone branch traversed.
  by NY&NE

Good question, workextra. On another thread of mine (http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 63&t=68741) LongIslandTool writes:

"After about 1904, the Long Island used "ping pong" S51 engines on the Branch. These were four or five 2-6-2 Baldwins -- small rapid transit tender-less engines that were bought to haul Northern Division trains. They were equipped with headlights and pilots on each end so they didn't have to be turned."

My 1873 map of Whitestone Village shows a depot, engine house and turntable down at Whitestone Landing, as part of the Whitestone & Westchester RR to Whitestone Station. From Whitestone Station westward the ROW is labelled on the map as the Flushing & North Side RR.
  by fordhamroad

Nick -- I assume you are familiar with http://www. aarts-archives.com for Long Island RR topics? Wha are you using for NYNH&H on the Hell Gate Bridge?

Best wishes

Roger